Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Does it just mean battery life will suffer? Does this setting in the app change settings system wide outside of the app. I'm not quite sure I understand what is happening with the chip in this warning.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 107

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
Does it just mean battery life will suffer? Does this setting in the app change settings system wide outside of the app. I'm not quite sure I understand what is happening with the chip in this warning.

I think because the app will show the number of steps you take as a notification "badge" it will need to use the A7 main chip (to update the badge number). If A7 and M7 are being utilized at the same time, the app might as well disable M7 and just use A7 for tracking your steps (to save on power consumption). This is just an hypothesis though.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Yes, if you turn off M7 support, the app has to stay running constantly to track motion (I use this app). With M7 support on, it shuts itself down when the phone is off and massively reduces power load, letting the M7 track motion and then reading the M7 data when it boots back up. It works really well and have noticed no battery drain, yet full counting of steps with that app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.