M8 motion processor working?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Big Brother, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Big Brother macrumors newbie

So my iPhone 6 happily measures my steps via the Health app. However it had not registered any fights of stairs (which I have done) nor the bike ride which I just completed. Anyone else have their iPhone 6 measuring these two acitivites via the Health app?

2. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

YES!!!!! I was thinking about making a thread about this. My stairs sure as hell ain't getting tracked. Hopefully it's just a software issuse and will be fixed soon.

3. jayiw macrumors regular

I was thinking the same thing but someone correct me if I am wrong.. I believe the Apple Health App needs other apps that record that would info to report the data to the Apple Heath App.

4. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Nope the M8 processor should be able to do stairs steps and running and stuff like that.

5. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Mine is working, though it says I've only climbed 2 flights of stairs, but I've really climbed 4-5.

6. nilnova macrumors member

nilnova

I only briefly tested this by walking up and downstairs in my home several times and I have not seen seen any stairs counted. Is it something that only works outside? In the keynote when they said it used the barometric sensor I was confused as to whether it would work indoors or not. I don't recall them going into detail on that.

7. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

I just checked and saw that it had recorded the one flight of stairs I climbed earlier and I remember exactly when it was, app was dead on.

8. nilnova macrumors member

nilnova

OK, I got mine to report floors climbed in my home. This time I did it with the phone in my hand. The first time I tested it was with it in my pocket because I didn't consider that might affect things. :eek:

This is probably obvious but it wasn't to me when I first started using the app: Make sure you have added the data to your Dashboard in the Healthbook app. Health Data -> Flights Climbed -> enable "Show on Dashboard". The others that are showing me data are Steps and Walking + Running Distance. I don't cycle so I can't test that one.

Finally, I found this research paper by Microsoft that could be interesting, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet:

Barometric Phone Sensors – More Hype Than Hope

9. BD1 macrumors 6502

My iPhone 6 is not recording any data in this app or in the pedometer app that I used on my 5s.

Is there a setting to allow motion tracking? I have looked for it but cannot find anything.

10. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

how do you even get it to measure steps? im clueless in this app!

11. Big Brother thread starter macrumors newbie

Shortly after this post, for no reason it started counting my flights of stairs (though what it determines a flight is still questionable). However, it still does not recognize cycling.

12. techiebug macrumors 6502a

Don't have much hope on this... I would be extremely surprised if it's accurate

13. Angelo921 macrumors 6502

I'm having the exact same problem. Just upgraded today from the 5s to the 6 and my pedometer app is not measuring my steps any longer.

14. ProxxiM macrumors newbie

My iPhone 6 does track flights of stairs, but not really accurate. When I take two flights, it usually will only count one.

How to track cycling, I really don't have a clue. Apple did mention it with the keynote, so I'm really surprised it absoluty doesn't work. I just cycled a few kilometers, but it displays totally nothing in the according section in the Health app.

15. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

Been monitoring this for the past week now and I also have my doubts as to it accuracy.

Not sure how the cycling works either. I bike daily and have it engaged but get zero results on that.

16. NmeNo1 macrumors newbie

25 Steps per Flight of Stairs Observed

I live in an 8-story building and often workout by going up and down the emergency staircase. Yesterday, I tested for the first time the Healthbook “Flights Climbed” functionality and found the following:

8 floors x 16 steps/floor = 128 steps x 10 times up and down = 1280 total steps. Apple Healthbook only recorded 52 flights climbed, so 1280 / 52 = 24.65 steps per “flight climbed.”

Later, I also noticed that if you climb less than the required steps to equal a flight and then time passes (I don’t know how much) before you take more steps that there is no cumulative counting. You lose credit, or the steps have expired, for the ‘partial’ flight from before.

My observations are obviously not scientific and my phone was in my pocket (as others have pointed out could have an impact on the barometric readings) but if this is true then most homes and offices don’t have such long staircases and so few flights will ever be counted.

Maybe Apple is trying to say just going up the single flight of stairs in your home or office doesn’t get your body active enough to consider a health benefit, only extended climbs count. It might be nice if they had an explanation of the criteria in the app.

17. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

That's nothing. My 30 mile bike ride this morning was counted by the pedometer as being over 7000 steps and 5 flights climbed.

Given that it was a rather intense workout, I don't really mind, but the motion detection isn't always 100% accurate; sometimes it misinterprets other activities as walking.