MA356LL/A 1,1 for home studio recording?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by willyredeemed, Oct 25, 2013.

1. willyredeemed macrumors newbie

Sep 19, 2008
    would the specs on this mac be sufficient for me to do home recording on? would be only tracking a couple tracks at a more than 16 -20 tracks in all. planning on using reaper or garage band. or, should i look at other options?

Apple Part Number: MA356LL/A

System configuration:
    Two 3.0GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon 5160 processors
    4.0GB (4x1.0GB) PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 ECC fully-buffered DIMM, supports up to 32.0GB
    500GB Serial ATA hard disk drive @ 7200RPM, includes four (4) drive trays
    DVD-RW/CD-RW SuperDrive-DL
    NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT graphics with 256MB GDDR2 memory
    No AirPort Extreme card
    No Bluetooth
    2- Dual-link DVI ports
    5- USB ports
    2- FireWire 400 ports
    2- FireWire 800 ports
    2- Ethernet ports
    4- PCI Express (PCIe) expansion slots (video card installed in one)
  2. BigRed1 macrumors 6502

Dec 13, 2011
    I do close to that on my 2007 Mac mini with a Core Duo 1.83 and 2 gigs of RAM, so you should be fine with that machine. Doesn't Reaper have a demo? Give that and GarageBand a try. I think Logic is a great deal for $200. What kind of music do you plan on making?
  3. willyredeemed thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 19, 2008
    thanks for the info. reaper has a free demo...their interface is pretty legit. for recording, im mainly working on songs ala rock ballads, ambient, indie, acoustic, etc.
  4. ChrisA macrumors G4

Jan 5, 2006
    Redondo Beach, California
    Yes that machine is overkill, more then you need but the price is right. I'd get more RAM. Also get a large size monitor 20 tracks uses a lot of screen space

Logic is the reason you are buying a Mac.
  5. willyredeemed thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 19, 2008
    Yeah @ logic. I plan to upgrade ram to at least was just cheaper for me to buy and install than have them do it.