Mabook pro 13inch and external monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by greythorne, Jul 9, 2010.

1. greythorne macrumors regular

Ok as the title may suggest.

I am considering hooking my mid-2010 13inch macbook pro to an external monitor. So if i am in the market for an external monitor what should i look out for like the type of connections between my macbook pro and the monitor.

Also lets say if the monitor as built-in speakers, i should be able to hear audio from the speaker without the need for any cable as speaker should be able to work from the mini displayport correct?

Secondly is there a maximum screen resolution that the macbook pro supports?

Oh please do provide some recommendations for an external monitor while you are at answering my questions.

Thank you.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Any display with DVI, VGA, HDMI or DisplayPort will work. Your MBP supports up to 2560x1600 resolution. Not sure about the sound, depends on the display I guess (you're better off with external speakers).

You are not giving enough details. What is your budget? What size are you looking for? General usage?

3. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

22" Dell 2209WA, cheap and awesome monitor (though some don't like the 1680x1050 res on a 22" screen since OS X doesn't have resolution independence). Just get a mini displayport>DVI adapter form Apple.

4. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

The 2010 Macbook Pros are the first to support sound+video out via Mini display port.

There are a bunch of cheap 21.5" displays, 1920x1080 full HD resolution. Check out offers from LG and Samsung.

5. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

assuming you get the right cable.

6. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

Any TV (don't both buying a computer monitor) with HDMI input is the way to go. How cheap are LCD flat screen TV's these days? With the HDMI cable hookup, there is no need for external speakers and extra wires. Just hook up the one mini-displayport to HDMI cable to your TV and your done.

I have a 32" thin flat screen TV as my external monitor and it's perfect.

7. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Yeh, and assuming you know how to plug in the connector to the right port.

But you have a point, many sites make no mention that the cables don't carry audio signal, so you need to be careful when buying.

8. greythorne thread starter macrumors regular

the screen size im looking at is atleast 24inch. I would like to get an Apple Cinema display but its pricey, the only reason why i would want to get it is because of its webcam as i do not have to buy a separate one.

I'm strongly looking at Samsung and LG.

One more thing if i closed the lid and do something intense wouldn't the glass screen gets warmer eventually causing cracks? Just a bit of concern there.

Basically the 13inch is kind of small for me that's why getting an external monitor.