.mac - 1 account - 2 users - 2 addresses/alias'?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacBoobsPro, Jun 13, 2008.

1. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I have a .mac account and have 2 macs. Can I have 2 email addresses/aliases so one goes to one mac and the other goes to the second mac?

Basically acting as 2 separate email accounts on separate machines for two different people.

I use the PMG5 my bro uses the MB.

Hope that makes sense.

2. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I don't think so, unless you upgrade to a family pack.

3. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Would setting up some mail rules on one machine to delete certain emails and the opposite on the other mac work or would that mess things up.

4. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Sorry... been away working :eek:

I tried exactly this a few years back on my 2 macs and it was hard to manage. Maybe Mail has improved since then but I doubt it. I'd give it a go and if things don't work out upgrade to the Family Pack for an extra £30 per year, or add an email only account for £7.50 per year.

5. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Ok thanks for your replies. I guess my idea of rules wouldnt work because it would technically erase ALL emails as its IMAP. :eek:

I'll have to figure something else out.

Cheers

6. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Yah, the basic .Mac account is designed for 1 user but can be spread across multiple machines but still only for that 1 user. Technically it's a misuse if you have 2 users access the same .Mac account.

7.50 isn't a lot, but going the route you want, I can offer 'folders' maybe? Having a rule of some sort and some emails goto one folder others go to another. Only thing is since .Mac sees ANYONE under that account logging in they have access to both folders UNLESS!!!!!!!!!! you create those folders locally. Then they would definitely be specific. However, if one user logs in those rules would try to place email in a folder that would not exist, etc. If they don't get moved then they are visible.

It's an easy solution, get an additional email account. Beyond that, you'll be pulling hair.