borjam1981

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
Hello,

I´ve got a a MAC with these features:

• MAC 10.11.6 (El Capitan).
  • IMAC (20 pulgadas, principios de 2009)
  • Processor: 2,66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • Memory: 8GBs

The problem is that now the computer works slowly. I know that is an old computer, but I would like to know if it is possible to do sth to improve the computer without buying it. I don´t know if it is possible to update to another operating system such as Mojave, Sierra or High Sierra.
Numbers or Excel doesn´t work properly. I know that there are some tools in Windows that can be used to improve the system. I know that there are people who buy SSD and the platform improves and you don´t have to invest such amount of money.

Best regards,

Borja

Fishrrman

macrumors Core
Feb 20, 2009
A new version of the OS isn't going to make it faster.
8gb of RAM is probably "enough".

The main reason it's "slow" is because it has a platter-based hard drive inside.
You could open it up and replace the old drive with an SSD -- but there's a risk of breaking something, as well.

The SSD is about the only thing that will work.
Other than that, time to look for something newer.

Comment

CoastalOR

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I´ve got a a MAC with these features:
  • MAC 10.11.6 (El Capitan).
  • IMAC (20 pulgadas, principios de 2009)
  • Processor: 2,66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • Memory: 8GBs
I don´t know if it is possible to update to another operating system such as Mojave, Sierra or High Sierra.
The maximum supported OS for your iMac is 10.11.6, so you are already at the max.

Comment

borjam1981

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
How can i measure the performace of the computer?

So the solution is to install a SSD via USB with Operating System. How can this be done? The USB cannot be slowly?

I think that the computer can be opened and use an internal SSD, this solution is complicated.

Thank you

Comment

borjam1981

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
SSD how can i configure it? I see that there are external SSD doesn´t it? I don´t want to unmount my computer because it can be complicated.

How do I Install OS in the external SSD? Any recommended brand for the SSD? Capacity for the SSD?

Thank you,

Borja

Comment

borjam1981

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
@gilby101 told me to install a SSD via Firewire 800. Any recommended model that use this type of port? I know that is better than USB 2.0 but all the external SSD unit that I know use USB port.

Best regards

Borja

Comment

Jack Neill

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
@gilby101 told me to install a SSD via Firewire 800. Any recommended model that use this type of port? I know that is better than USB 2.0 but all the external SSD unit that I know use USB port.

Best regards

Borja

Throw a decent SSD in this bad boy and rock that iMac into 2020.

https://www.amazon.com/OWC-Mercury-...=firewire+800+enclosure&qid=1576417231&sr=8-4

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8375840

[automerge]1576417426[/automerge]
How zippy would it be if the OP booted from a USB2.0 connected SSD?

I boot a MB 7,1 from a USB 2.0 SSD to clone by Mojave install with CCC. Its surprisingly not that bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: gilby101
Comment

gilby101

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Throw a decent SSD in this bad boy and rock that iMac into 2020.

And can get enclosure + SSD from https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/on-the-go

An SSD does not need to be USB3 to make a big difference to an oldish Mac. Firewire and USB2 may not have fast transfer rates, but that is not what counts for most usage. It is the zero seek time which allows any SSD to beat a HDD for boot and general usage.

Comment

Jack Neill

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
And can get enclosure + SSD from https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/on-the-go

An SSD does not need to be USB3 to make a big difference to an oldish Mac. Firewire and USB2 may not have fast transfer rates, but that is not what counts for most usage. It is the zero seek time which allows any SSD to beat a HDD for boot and general usage.

When I said decent I meant a good brand, I have used cheap PNY, moderate:SanDisk, best:Samsung/Crucial. All 4 have worked great for me in the past.

Comment

borjam1981

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
Thank you, the enclosure is the box to mount the SSD?

Than it is not a but idea using a Firewire connection for installing an SSD that will be the main boot unit.

Best regards,

Borja

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.