Mac 10.3 Programs Open then Close Instantly

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Flynngo, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Flynngo macrumors newbie

I've got a mac, g4 I think, that I've had since about 2005 and even though it's not my main computer anymore there's a big problem I'd like to fix. There are a few programs, Safari, Msn and Java, come to mind, that it wont run. Normally if you click on them the application bounces in the dock but then wont open and sometimes no message comes up, sometimes it will say 'programname has unexpectantly quit', and I'm not sure why. Also if java is booted from within a web browser, I'm currently using firefox, then firefox will freeze for a few seconds before quitting and then it will say 'firefox has unexpectantly quit.' I've tried redownloading the programs and deleting the preference files but this hasn't worked and I'm lost with what else I should try. I'd appreciate any help, but just a warning that I can do basics and follow instructions, but other than that I'm pretty useless with macs. Also the computer is currently running 10.3.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

3. Flynngo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the reply, I have tried all 8 steps in the guide and it still wont work, do you have any other suggestions, or is a complete reinstall the only option?

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Disk utility: Verify disk (and repair disk).

I would do archive and install.