Mac 10.6 Backgrounding issue

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chorno, Apr 22, 2011.

1. chorno macrumors newbie

This is really my first time writing in on these forums, but I can't seem to figure out this issue.

I have a 2010 13" MacBook Pro running OS 10.6.7 and have just noticed that if I am in any web browser (Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, etc.) and say have an audio or video stream playing, if I click on a different application (iTunes, System Preferences, etc.) exactly 15 seconds later the web browser window will dim itself and pause whatever content that was streaming. The content will resume itself when I click back to the application running the content, but whenever I am using a different application, the process continues to pause exactly 15 seconds later.
    This makes listening to audio streams pointless on my Mac because it is pausing that backgrounded web browser, and it seems to only happen with browsers and not any other applications. I have tested with iTunes and the Pandora One desktop app and they don't have this problem.
    I have been trying to search online and even in System Preferences but cannot find a solution and only seem to have started with a later OS update.
    Any help would be appreciated

2. chorno thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I finally figured out my problem. It had nothing to do with the OS at all. I had installed a program last month that I received as part of a Mac Utility compilation called App Tamer and it was enabled. App Tamer is supposed to halt certain apps when not selected and I totally forgot that I had this program installed. I can safely say that this program does its job, but in my case, it caused more frustration than needed. I have since then removed the program, and do not see me reinstalling in the near future.