Mac (10.9.2) No Longer Sees My Canon HFS10 Video Camera

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by gratefulshred, Mar 4, 2014.

1. gratefulshred macrumors newbie

Got a new job which came with a fancy new computer. Unfortunately the iMac from late 2012 with OS X 10.9.2 does not recognize my Canon Vixia HFS10 camera. I plug it in and go through all of the typical steps that I have used to mount it previously. The last computer I hooked this camera up to had OS X 10.6.8 running Final Cut 7.

I have run disk utility and it does not see that the camera is hooked up via USB.

I am trying to import files into FCP 7.0.3.

The files on my camera are on the internal hard drive not an SD card.

There are no drivers on the Canon website for my camera and Mavericks.

I'll provide any other useful information I can, but this certainly is annoying and is stoping me from getting work done.

Thanks in advance.

2. floh macrumors 6502

Hm. I only have the HF-S100 model (no internal drive, otherwise it's the exact same), but I just tried connecting that and it works perfectly fine. Only the SD card shows up as a drive, but as I said there is no internal memory... So I would expect that your model is also supported by Mavericks.

The first things you could do to help us figure out the problem are:

1. Tell us what those "typical steps" are that you did to connect the camera
    2. Give us the output of the Mac OS X kernel when you connect your camera.

To do the latter, you can proceed as follows:

• Open the "Terminal" e.g. from Spotlight search.
    • Type in "sudo dmesg" and enter your password
    • Connect your camera
    • Type in "sudo dmesg" again.
    • Copy and paste all lines to this forum that were added newly at the bottom of the output when you connected the camera.

That might give us an idea where the problem lies. It may also be worth posting in a forum more dedicated to hardware and drivers, this question is not very video-specific... :)