Mac 128's

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by havokalien, Sep 11, 2012.

1. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Ok I have 2 M00001's if I missed or added a zero or two I'm sorry.

Here is my issue. Both do not say 128 on front or back. Both motherboards part numbers end in 0101. Bothe motherboards have different roms. Ram on one board is soldered to the board and the other are chips inserted. The back plastic on one says apple and th other back says Macintosh. I made a boot disk 2.0 finder 4.1 and on the lower left of the window about this says 512k on both units.

I am confused. No info I can find on the net to determine if the OS is the issue or it's reading wrong, or they are both upgraded to the 512 boards. I don't know how to tell the difference. Will os 3 tell me more about the Mac?

Thanks.

Actually I'm pretty happy they both work. 400k disk creation I have found is more an art than science lol.

2. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Pics of the front & rear cases and hi-res pics of the motherboards would help in identifying them.

They have probably had 512K motherboards fitted. Not uncommon. :)

3. havokalien thread starter macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Pictures

Ill get some post haste tomorrow. I just couldn't find anywhere that said the 512 motherboard part numbers. My issue is even with a 512 motherboard why would one have removable chips and one not.

Thanks again all.

4. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Many 128K motherboards were upgraded by third parties and not Apple.

I used to do them back in the day (which is beginning to make me feel quite old now). We would use sockets for the 41256 RAM chips.

5. havokalien thread starter macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Finder

So the finder 4.1 saying 512 would be correct the because there is no about this Macintosh?

6. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

AFAIK that is correct. :)

7. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

It was *VERY* common for 128K Macs to be upgraded to 512K, either officially (motherboard swap,) or through third-party upgrades.

8. havokalien thread starter macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Agreement

I agree that they are probably upgraded 128's my only issue is that I couldn't get them to boot on system 3.2. I know no big deal but weird that the 128 and 512 both support it but I couldn't get it to boot that. I guess I'll check the disk again.