Mac 30 inch versus Dell 30 inch?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by flipangle, Aug 14, 2010.

1. flipangle macrumors regular

I have seen the Mac 30 inch display. Beautiful despite being "old" technology. Was curious as to how the Dell 30 inch stack up against it. Would particularly be interested in the opinions of those who own the Dell 30 inch as I've never seen that display in person. Thanks.

2. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Rumor is Dell is coming out with a 30" IPS display based on the 27" panel soon.;) I have a 2 year old Dell 30" and love it. While Dell has been very lax on their PC's and laptops their monitors are first rate.

3. flipangle thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't realize the 30 inch dell wasn't ips. Is it glossy or matte?

4. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

matte

5. foodle macrumors 6502

The Dell 3007 and 3008 30" displays are IPS. A new one is coming out soon to replace these models.

6. supercooled macrumors 6502a

If I had to do it all over again, I would go for the Apple. I find myself gaming too much with my Dell because I have all my consoles connected to it and get distracted a lot :eek:

I don't know how hot the ACD gets but I can't imagine it gets hot like my Dell which heats up my room and gives me a tan after a few hours.

I don't know how I feel about the new black bezel frames of the new monitors. The old one is pretty beautiful as-is.

7. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i had a 30 ACD and it was never that hot at all .. was a great monitor .. should have kept it

8. kasakka macrumors 68000

The Dell 3008WFP has all inputs known to man if you need 'em. The Dell also has a scaler and OSD so setting it for accurate colors is easier and it does all resolutions (though in Windows you can set the graphics card to do the scaling). The Dell also has a circa 5 second lag when switching resolutions or inputs, which I find annoying.

I doubt the new Dell U3011 will be anything particularly spectacular compared to the 3008WFP. Many seem to hate the antiglare coating on the 27" so if the new one has that it might even be worse. Otherwise it probably just has the newer OSD found in the 27" and less inputs, which is IMO fine because I hate scrolling thru the composite, S-video etc crap.

9. SimonMW macrumors 6502

I have both a 30" ACD and a 23" ACD. The 30" has strange botches all over it and is out of warranty so I'm stuck with it. The 23" logic board appears to have buggered up since it won't sleep, and the buttons on the side won't do anything. Nor does the brightness adjustment appear in the display setup preferences either.

So, I basically have two dud monitors that cost me a fortune and I can't do anything with. My finances are tight at the moment and I can't afford to replace them. NOT impressed with Apples build quality on these.

10. mangrove macrumors 6502

How about versus the new HP ZR30w-the new IPS monitor in matte?