Mac 4.1 not seeing SSD (Help)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Tazdaman, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Tazdaman macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I purchased a SSD drive for my Mac pro, plugged it into the spare SATA port under the optical drive. I then removed my old startup disk and turned my Mac on ready to Install Snow Leopard.
    I get to the screen where it asks where I would like to install the OS but it does not show me the SSD drive. It shows my other drives but not the SSD. Any idea on what I am doing wrong as I thought I did all the research I needed to before purchasing the items. My SSD is OCZ VTX3-25SAT3-120G Vertex 120GB SATA 2.5 inch SSD which says Interface: SATA 6Gbps / Backwards Compatible 3Gbps.

Thanks

2. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

Gotta format and make bootable first. Open Disk Utility and set it up there as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

3. Tazdaman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! Slap my own head!

If I were to put my OLD Harddrive back in Bay 1 which one would OS would start up the SSD or the Sata? I am a little scared to do so in case there is a conflict of some sorts.

4. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

It will choose whichever is listed under System Preferences>Startup Disk. No conflicts to worry about.

----------

I use my old 640GB as my backup clone. Whenever I pop it into my Voyager Q dock, it just loads up and looks exactly like the boot disk. I have SuperDuper! set to clone it whenever it connects, so every so often, I connect it and let it clone... particularly before an update. Then I don't clone it again until everything is known to be working right. Very handy!