Mac 512K server

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by napabar, Sep 7, 2010.

1. napabar macrumors 6502

napabar

I figured out how to get a Mac 512K to serve files on a modern network. I was able to connect to it using my iMac with Snow Leopard, iPhone, and iPad.

I have some videos up on my site, as well as some more documentation for those interested.

http://web.me.com/nilesmitchell/Mac512k/Welcome.html

2. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Wow that's awesome! I still have my 512k but I have hardly touched it due to the pain of getting software onto it. I have a Wallstreet PowerBook G3 so your little video was excellent. Any links (or maybe a PM) to where I can get the required demos/versions of BinHex and the EasyShare software?

Thanks! :D

3. napabar thread starter macrumors 6502

napabar

They are up in my public folder on my iDisk.

User name = nilesmitchell

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That is really neat. I never thought about doing that. Kudos to you for making it work.

5. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Minor suggestion: When scanning a GIF directly to the 512K, you should probably just scan directly into 1-bit B/W mode. The 512K will draw them *MUCH* faster if it doesn't have to do dithering on top of the decode.

Hrm, on second look, you can only save directly as GIF in "Color" mode?!?!? Which you can only set to Millions or Billons?!? How insane is that? Yet "Text" mode, which is the only 1-bit B/W mode you can pick, can only output TIFF, PNG, or PDF.... There has to be a hack to enable GIF output in "Text" mode....... (Or even 256-shade grayscale.)

6. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Very cool man! I have a straight 512K, and it's one of my favorite old Macs (especially since my version of ChipWits only works with the 64KB ROMs).

7. napabar thread starter macrumors 6502

napabar

I know! Weird, right?

8. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Hrm, can GIFwatcher open TIFFs?

Or maybe set up an Automator action that monitors a folder for new TIFFs then converts them to 1-bit GIFs and uploads it to the 512K?

Dang, I know there have been Mac Plus web servers, now I'll have to see if I can set up a Mac 128k web server...

9. napabar thread starter macrumors 6502

napabar

Yeah, I'm going to fool around with some scripts soon...see if I can dig up some new tricks.

I've used Mac OS 8.6's Personal Web sharing with the 512K. Just set the Web Folder to the Mac 512K share, and you'll hear the floppy fire up when you access the pages with a web browser. Guess it wasn't cool enough for a video. Moving files to the 512K (files the 512K can actually use) seems more exciting to me.

10. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I saw a guy who was running a web server off a Mac Portable. He was running the server off a RAM disk and using a SCSI to ethernet adapter to get internet on the Mac Portable and running MacTCP. He had to modify his Mac Portable to be able to support power over the SCSI port for ethernet, he had to physically use a soldering iron and modify his board so that it would work.

11. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Has anyone successfully had TCP/IP running on a straight 512? I didn't think it could be done - I figured it needed the newer ROMs.

12. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Open Transport requires at least System 7.1 to run...I have the installer on floppy disk in a box right now and plan to put it on my PowerBook 170. Not sure, but I don't think the 512k supports anything over 6.0.8

13. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

MacTCP works fine on 6.0.8. I don't know if there are any TCP stacks that work on the very early Systems, though. (I doubt it.)

14. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Yeah, and I'm talking about the 512K - *not* the 512Ke. I don't think a straight 512K will run anything beyond System 4. That's why you only hear about people using a Plus (or Portable!) as a web server, etc...

It's interesting to talk about this stuff, though. Anything that'll run System 6 is still surprisingly useful. :)

15. napabar thread starter macrumors 6502

napabar

Check out this link....

http://www.vintagemacworld.com/512Knet.html

No server software though.....

16. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

17. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Here is the Macintosh Portable floppy-based Web Server. Don't overload the Portable!! It can only handle so much serving!!

http://aurejac.dyndns.org/

18. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

19. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Neat! Do you have any external drives for it? Sharing a few megabytes of files doesn't seem very useful, though (but definitely worth the novelty factor).

20. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

I thought the iPhone to Mac512k was really cool! very neat seeing the picture come up on the old computer :)