mac 7 or xp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by omar4578, Apr 5, 2011.

1. omar4578 macrumors regular

omar4578

now this might have been answered before but i did a search and found nothing, sorry if its a repost but i gotta know...

i will be getting my mac on friday and first thing i will do is to add windows to it..i have a few questions regarding this though...

1. will it slow down the computer if i have 2 op systems?

2. which is more better with the specs of my laptop? win 7 or xp
    (specs include: 8gigs or ram 2011 mbp 2.0ghz 500gb hd...)

and finally...

3. should i get virtual machine or boot camp?
    (i already have a computer running win 7 at home so all i would need it for are possibly some apps that cannot run on mac and just because of the fact that its nice to have windows on the mac?)

thanks for your input ;)

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

1 - Windows on your Mac will not slow it down if loaded into Boot Camp. If you load Windows into a virtual machine and run it simultaneously with OS X it will slow your Mac down some which is wholly dependent on how much RAM you have and how much is allocated to each OS.

2 - Go with Windows 7 on the laptop. However, 7 and XP should run just fine.

3 - It all depends on what you want. Boot Camp requires a restart into Windows and you cannot use OS X. A virtual machine allows you to use both at the same time. It's your choice.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope - provided you're using bootcamp over vmware. Only one will be active at any one time. Just be sure you size the boot camp partition appropriately not making one partition too small. With VMware you're adding overhead so things will be a bit slower in both the host and guest OS.

At this point, I'd pretty much avoid XP, windows 7 brings too much to the table. You'll be much better off using that over XP

Personal preference question.
    Advantage of VMware is that you don't have to get out of OSX, you can run windows inside of OSX. The main disadvantage to this approach is the windows environment does not have direct access to the hardware which would result in a performance hit.

The main advantage to bootcamp is performance and direct access to the hardware. Most people run bootcamp do so for games or other apps that are intensive or they have little need for OSX. If you're not running games and want to be in OSX most of the time, then bootcamp may not be the best choice, conversely if you think you'll be using windows mostly, then yeah its probably a good idea then

4. Derango macrumors regular

If you're getting a 2011 Macbook Pro and are planning on using Bootcamp and not VMWare/Parallels then you need to go windows 7. Apple dropped support for XP in Bootcamp with this version and doesn't provide drivers.

5. room271 macrumors member

Definitely go Windows 7 over XP. Personally, I would go Vista over XP anyday too.

XP is really old now and doesn't even support things like the newest versions of IE (which is probably not an issue for most people but still...).

Also, Win 7 has a really nice UI and is generally much slicker/easier to use. Search in Win7 is also much much much better than XP.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Since there are no drivers provided for XP for this revision MBP, you're pretty much stuck with win7.

With that said, I'd go bootcamp so that the windows partition has acess to all of the computer's power.

Virtualization works well so long as what you're doing doesn't require much computing power.

7. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

XP is over a decade old, avoid it. Windows 7 is - in all honesty- a great OS.

8. WilliamBos, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2011

WilliamBos macrumors member

Great info guys. So, for casual use, boot camp sounds like a better route. Having all the resources at your finger tips is a good thing.

9. omar4578 thread starter macrumors regular

omar4578

cool thanks for your advice guys!

ill definitely go with bootcamp windows 7 now. :D

one more question though!!

will windows 7 read all of my hardware? like will it run like a pc with 8gigs of ram and stuff?

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

If you install a 64-bit OS you will be able to take advantage of all 8GB of ram just fine, a 32-bit install can only utilise 4gb(it's actually a bit less than that but we'll not go into the fine details)

Yes, it'll run just like a PC with the same specs. No difference. The components in an MBP aren't any different than the ones in a comparable PC, hardware is hardware.

11. iMackPro macrumors 6502

I believe if hes using windows so much that he never really uses OSX it might be a better idea for him to invest in M17x!

12. omar4578 thread starter macrumors regular

omar4578

what is this m17x?

13. snaky69 macrumors 603

That would be an alienware PC laptop. Google is your friend.

14. WilliamBos, Apr 5, 2011

15. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes, though there really isn't much of a point to it. The only true advantage of 64-bit is to be able to access more ram.

16. WilliamBos, Apr 6, 2011

So you would not notice a difference with 32 bit??

17. Derango macrumors regular

In general usage, no. Not really. When you get into computationally intensive processes that use lots of really big numbers then 64-bit will be quite a bit faster than 32-bit. But a lot of that is specialized usage right now (like photoshop's new content aware fill features and some filters and such, as an example) or with video encoding and such.

For most individuals, there's going to be little if any advantage in speed 64 bit vs 32 at the current time.