Mac 8.6.1 Finder Quit

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ssink, May 23, 2008.

1. ssink macrumors newbie

I have an old Mac that cannot be upgraded past System 8.6.1. Suddenly, out of nowhere, I have gotten an error of "the finder has unexpectedly quit". I get this if I touch anything on the desktop; therefore, I cannot access the system folder to trash the preference finder file.

Trying to use disks is getting me disk errors that the disks cannot be recognized; etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions that I may try. I had just completed editing an entire book when this occured and your help would be extremely appreciated.

TIA!

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Try starting your computer while holding down the space bar until you see "Extensions Disabled." This will disable extensions, a conflict of whom you are likely experiencing.

BTW, there is no Mac OS 8.6.1 nor are there any free updates beyond Mac OS 8.6. It's also not really a good idea do to critical work on anything running the classic Mac OS (pre-X).

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

There's also a chance you may need to rebuild your desktop.

Ooooh... I just experienced a major 90's flashback... :D

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

It's nice to tickle the classic bone once in awhile.

5. ssink thread starter macrumors newbie

I was able to successfully boot from the OS CD and get the file from the computer but booting from the hard drive is still giving the same problem even after rebuilding the desktop and trashing the finder preference. I had tried this previously from another OS CD but evidently it was corrupt.

Am in the process of reinstalling system software now. Hopefully, I will be able to get the computer running again. Am relieved it was not the logic board...was afraid it was with the disk errors I was getting.

We only do writing from this computer and like most of you, it's been awhile since I've had to work with the OS on this computer. It has been very reliable. I'm mostly thankful, I've got the file off. :)

Funny how things go haywire when you've done nothing different. :confused:

Thanks for all your help.

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Thats because your problem was most likely an extension conflict and probably had nothing to do with either of those things.

Classic Mac OS does that a lot.