.Mac Account Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by karleaglemac, May 4, 2007.

1. karleaglemac macrumors regular

karleaglemac

So my trial membership for my .Mac account is about to expire and I'm wondering if I should pay the $100 for another 365 days of service. The only thing I'm really using it for is to post my website (www.karleagleman.com).

Advice?

Is a .Mac account worth the money?

Any and all advice is welcome!

Thanks!

2. kjacks52 macrumors member

Not really. But I use a .mac address so I'm kinda stuck. I'm really hoping they update it soon to make it really worth it, or drastically lower the price. You can host your site elsewhere for a LOT less cash.

3. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

No, it's not worth it, unless you know 0 about computers. Everything it offers can be had for free across the Internet, and at a much faster speed with more reliability. The file-sharing/iDisk rate's are horrifically slow, and always seem to lose connection when I uploaded/downloaded something. I had it for a year; a waste of $100 IMO. You can host your site through someone else, and at a much cheaper cost too.

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Yeah, I wouldn't get it. I bought it because I kept jumping around with email addresses and I wanted one that would stick. I figured that if I paid for an email, I would keep it.

5. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

It's what, like 8 bucks a month? To me it's worth it just for the integration with the iLife suite. However, I won't disagree with those who say it isn't a necessity.

If the trial was 30 days long (no idea how long it actually is) ask yourself if the usage you got was worth the 8 bucks it would have cost you.

good luck.

6. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I think it is worth the money just to piss-off my PC mates by have an email address ending "@mac.com" :) :)

FJ

7. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

If you have two or more Macs, it is very useful.

I redirect all my email to my .Mac account and use their IMAP to keep all my email synced, and .Mac also automatically keeps my keychains, contacts, calendars, etc. all synced, as well as any document folders that I need to keep in sync.

You also shouldn't pay anywhere near $100. Just buy a discounted license on eBay. As someone else pointed out, this isn't really a lot per month either.

8. slamcrank macrumors newbie

kinda yes.

Like the poster above me mentioned -- as far as per-month rates go, .mac is not a bad deal at all... especially if you have multiple Apple machines, or need to access synced infomation from any location on the globe, at any time. I beg to differ with the poster who said that "all of these options can be had for free and faster/more reliable." That's just not in keeping with my research. Sure, a good bit of the .mac offerings are available online, but nowhere are they all collected in one place for the price offered by Apple.

p.s. I like your website. Well done on that.

9. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Yup, I buy it just to have an email "@mac.com" and also because I have multiple machines and it's very easy to sync across them.

I also do some work in a public school and they have filters that block email, even gmail :rolleyes: periodically, so having .mac helped me.

When I was writing my thesis, I also used Backup to backup my stuff nightly which was convenient in case my powerbook died, but also because I would have access to the latest revisions anywhere with internet, regardless of whether I had my computer on me. :)

.mac isn't cheap, but I wouldn't say it's really expensive either.

10. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

Yeah the @mac.com is also the reason why i got it.

In effect its like a status symbol for me compared to the @gmail, @hotmail, @yahoo that exists too much.

@mac is sooooo mac!

plus all the integration stuff which is nice but as the guy somewhere mentioned, it can be had for free too...so i guess its the @mac thing that i like best.

11. mdelaney123 macrumors regular

I have to agree... The iSync is what makes it very worth while for me. My wife and I have our own logon accounts on our family Mac. She has a Palm PDA and I have a Windows Mobile Smart Phone. I also have a Macbook that I use during my Daily commute.

The iSync that comes with .Mac is a god-send. We can keep all of our contacts and iCal entries in sync between accounts and to my laptop. I also sync my bookmarks to my laptop. Just awsome.

Everything else is icing on the cake.

12. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

No offense, but that is pretty sad.

13. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

What isn't keeping with your research? Anything that .mac can do, can be done online for free, and better.

Gmail = more storage, more mail capabilities, free.
    XDrive for file storage = 5 gb free vs. 1 gb for .mac (in which your email also count towards the file storage, so 250 mb of email = 750 mb file storage)
    Bookmarks? = Del.icio.us for free (with social bookmarking).

I'm just wondering what "research" of yours proves different?

P.S. The .mac reliability factor is terrible, btw. Last night it was down for 3.5 hours alone. Between consistently being down for long periods of time (hours), and the dropped connections when uploading, it's a bear...

14. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

well syncing two macs and having your adressbook and calendar and syncing your calendars is a cool and easy feature. maybe you can do all that for free but not as integrated and easy as with .mac.

.mac is all about convenience. if $100 is a lot of money for you it's not worth to spend it on convenience. if $100 doesn't bother you too much then spend it. it's like buying groceries at the nearest store although you know that somewhere else you might find them cheaper.

the real problem is speed and reliability of .mac and the e-mail. that has been bad recently and my renewal is up in 20 days. and i really think about giving up .mac because of the sluggishness and reliability problems of the service.

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i have not been able to find any other service or app that can sync my prefs, mail, calanders, contacts, and bookmarks across my macs. and i have been looking. perhaps not hard enough? any one have some suggestions?

16. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

Yes i am sad. Thanks for pointing it out.

17. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Bah, it's not sad. Let's be realistic, we live in a consumerist society and status symbols are important.

An :apple: in itself is a status symbol. Let's be realistic now. Not sad, but life.

Yeah, you find all of .mac's services for free elsewhere, but not together. And I really don't care to log into 3-5 sites when I can just log into one.

18. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

Thank you! and i really dont care what other people say, thats the spirit of the mac isnt it? 'think different'!

19. buymeaniphone macrumors 6502

buymeaniphone

20. karleaglemac thread starter macrumors regular

karleaglemac