Mac acting strangely. Help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Karl Ivar, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Karl Ivar macrumors newbie

Dear everybody,

I have the following problem:

On my macbook pro (2011) I have the OS and all software on a SSD-drive, and most of my files on the original 5400 rpm-disk.

When I restart my MBP, finder says that I have 40GB of free disk space on my SSD (Total 128GB). After approx 30.60 min of use, all processes start to go very slow, the computer-fan starts, and finder now says that I only have 20GB left, allthough I haven´t copied any files over to the drive. I still have the OS installed on my 5400 rpm-drive, and when I boot from this drive, the same happens, except from the loss of disk-space.

When I repair disk-rights in Disk-Utility (safe mode), a lot of repairs comes up on both disks, allthough last repair was only a few days ago. After the repair, everything is OK for a while, until the same starts happening again…

On activity monitor a whole lot of processes are running. I have no idea what they all do.

In Final Cut Pro X, it says that many events are stored on my SSD-drive, which is not true- they are stored on the 5400rpm-drive and on an external drive.

These strange behaviours started appear approx two months after exchanging my DVD-drive with the SSD-drive. During these two months, everything was just great.

Any idea that could bring my dear mac back to normal behaviour??

Thanka a lot in advance

All the best,

Karl Ivar (Berlin)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For performance issues, there are a few things you can check:
    • Check your Login Items under System Preferences > Accounts to see what you have automatically launching.
    • Also check /Library/LaunchAgents/ and /Users/yourusername/Library/LaunchAgents/ for items launching at startup
    • Look at what widgets you may have running.
    • Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.
    • Take a look at the System Memory tab at the bottom of Activity Monitor to see if you have excessive "page outs", a sign that you may benefit from more RAM.
    • Make sure you're not running any 3rd party antivirus app, as many of those will drain resources, reducing performance. They're not needed to protect your Mac.