Mac Ad Commercials

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by andreab35, Aug 21, 2008.

1. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

A while ago, I started following the Get a Mac Ad Commercials by Apple.

I seriously think they are hilarious. I've even burnt some of them on a DVD and put some on my iPhone from iTunes for my personal enjoyment.

The problem is, I showed my family once and they were totally clueless. Still can't figure out why they can't understand the humor... :rolleyes:

Anyways, do you enjoy these ads? Just wondering so I don't feel utterly stupid for being the only one! ;)

2. djellison macrumors 68020

Lots of people do enjoy them, no doubt.

Personally, I think they are disgustingly smug, often intentionally misleading, they pander to and amplify the unjustified stereotype of a Mac user, and as with all negative marketing campaigns - singularly fail to extol the virtues of the product they're trying to sell.

3. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

I kinda like them, but I prefer the old Switch ad's from a while back now...

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Are they into technology in general?

I enjoy the ads.

I would like to see more ads on how you can use a Mac. Similar to the iPhone ads. Showing how iLife works would sell a lot of Macs to those that haven't even heard of it.

5. tdskcrys macrumors newbie

I think those ads are hilarious! After seeing a few on tv, I went in search for them on the Mac site & watched every one of them. Hope they continue making them.

I also like the idea that one user here suggested about showing in the commercials how to use applications and such within the Mac.

6. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

No. I can't stand them. I just don't see the humor at all... and the music! ugg! Luckily, I now turn the sound off for all commercial breaks so that annoying tune never assaults my ears.

Edit: What djellison said!

7. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I enjoy them, and since I have QT Pro, I've saved the HD versions of all of them to my laptop. I even have the UK versions, though not in HD.

8. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I enjoy them, but take them with a grain of salt - I don't care for Justin Long that much but John Hodgeman is funny (I think he's singularly what makes them so popular).

I can see why people would be irritated at them - but I find them less irritating that the stupid ads M$ is doing with "The Mojave Project." I can't stand those ads..

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yes, people understand them, women especially find them non-threatening (good thing).

Some have left the dark, mediocre side due to the ads.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I find them to be very funny. I love them.

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Same here.

Without John as "PC", this commercial campaign would have died a justified death long ago.

12. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I agree, I have friends come over and use my iMac all the time. They always know about the commercials but they have no idea what you can do with one or how easy it really is to use.

13. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

They are tongue-in-cheek banter for the old geeks that enjoy this type of things. Too many people take them as serious slants on MS.

Yeah, it's like they're not selling enough of them at the moment ;)

14. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I have mixed feelings about the ads. They certainly aren't as good as the ads from the late 1990s/early 00s with Jeff Goldblum.

As a Mac user, I find the ads to be insufferably smug at times, especially because Macs aren't perfect as the ads would like us to believe.

However, I've discovered that non-Mac users seem to like the ads. By and large many people seem to laugh or appreciate the ads, probably because they are tired of Windows' troubles.

But as far as ad campaigns go in general, these ads are decent. Apple has always been a masterful marketing company, and these ads are only average for Apple. The PC guy definitely makes the ads what they are; Justin Long is just there to serve as a person to talk to.

15. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Mac users typically find them more entertaining than our Windows brethren, obviously.

16. andreab35 thread starter macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Lol, I actually like Justin Long in these commercials. But also, John does make the PC man.

:D

Can't wait to see was MS comes out with Jerry... :eek:

17. andreab35 thread starter macrumors 6502a

andreab35

And oh yes, well, my family does know about technology in general, but I kinda got a few laughs :rolleyes:

The new ads I think are pretty good. :D

18. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

The irony, is Justin has little computer knowledge, and in an interview after Live Free or Die Hard, he admitted he is not a computer geek at all.

19. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

They're alright for a cheap laugh at Microsoft's expense... but I do agree with other members that there should be some more "look at what Macs can do!" ads, and less "Macs are better so buy them" ads.

Because, well, while the current ones are funny for us, they do make ALL Mac users seem like smug bastards who think you're an idiot for using a PC.

20. aethelbert macrumors 601

Some of the cheap shots that Apple has been pushing through those commercials are completely invalid now. I hate the commercials; they're getting old. They used to be alright, I didn't mind them. But now that it's all about making Windows look like the OS for morons, I think that it's time for them to find something new. It's nice to have reason for buying something aside from "the guy on the TV told me to."

I eagerly await Microsoft's response.

21. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Justin is okay, but he's what makes the ads 'smug'... which is fine with me, but I could take it or leave it.

Apple could have used this guy but it would have lacked a certain... something... can't put my finger on it atm...

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

A primer for these spots would have been to see John on The Daily Show.

He is so damn good at what he does, it's almost scary.

23. andreab35 thread starter macrumors 6502a

andreab35