MAC Address for my new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by midloman, May 30, 2010.

1. midloman macrumors regular

midloman

I got my new MBP a week ago (15" Std Res, 2.4 gHz). I had it hooked up to my home wireless network and things were going fine.

Tonight, I set up my son's Wii to access the wireless network, which worked OK. When I got back to my MBP, my connection had gone away.

I can go back in and add what I thought was the MAC address for my machine (by using a Wintel laptop). However, I'd like to be sure about the MAC address.

Is there a MAC address for the MBP? I see an Airport ID in system preferences, but I'm not sure if that's the right format. When I add it to the MAC access list for my router (I'm using MAC wireless security), it doesn't seem to show up.

How do I find the MAC address for the laptop? Or is that Airport ID what I need? Other laptops have a sticker or something on them with the MAC address. My beautiful MBP is not adorned with such things, just pure, beautiful aluminum. I appreciate the help.

LT

2. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

System Preferences
    Network (select Airport)
    Airport (select "Advanced")
    Select Ethernet

and you should find "Ethernet ID: ......"

That ought to be what you want.

For what it's worth, many people will tell you that MAC address security is easily defeated.

3. midloman thread starter macrumors regular

midloman

Thanks. That's what I thought and what I entered. Still not sure why I don't see it in the list of allowed devices on my router. Things seem to work now, though.

I know MAC is not the best. I have a home network, and my laptop from work has issues with WEP2. I have a number of other devices (game boxes and such for the kids) that I'd have to go and set up a WEP or WEP2 password for, guess I just haven't set aside the time to go find them all and do it. The MAC seems to keep neighbors off of the network, which was my primary concern.

Does using WEP or WEP2 involve some sort of performance hit on the network?

4. tombilske macrumors member

tombilske

any form of encryption (WEP, WPA etc) technically does slow down a network but not noticeably. if i was you i would set the time aside to set up encryption on my home network, its definitely worth it and also, whenever you get a new device, you dont have to manually allow it through the router

5. bigjobby macrumors 65816

if you can, restrict your wifi to MAC address and use WPA/2. WEP/2 is way more easily crackable.