MAC address of networked iMac shows in Finder sidebar

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ltldrummerboy, Nov 13, 2008.

1. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I've been having a problem with my network. I have an iMac hooked up via ethernet to a Netgear router that broadcasts my network. On my MacBook in the Finder, the iMac show up in the sidebar just like it should. However, there's a "PC" just below it that's called mac************. I verified that ************ is the MAC address of my iMac. I was curious to find out if anyone else has experienced this issue. I have a networked printer hooked up to the iMac, but nothing changes when I turn it off. I've attached a picture below. Clicking on either of the two circled items produces the same effect, opening the shared contents on my iMac.

Attached Files:

2. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

Try downloading MainMenu or OnyX and clearing the caches. It might just be caching the MAC address as the hostname for some reason and can be cleared.

Also, MAC addresses, as far as I am aware, aren't something you need to worry about hiding, since they can only be seen locally.

3. ltldrummerboy thread starter macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Didn't work. I cleared all the caches on both computers and it's still there. Any other ideas? I'll check the PC in the house to see if it's showing up there.

I wasn't sure about the MAC address so I just went ahead and blurred it.

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

This also happens to me. I just try and ignore it... but that doesn't solve the problem I guess. It is pretty annoying so I'm interested in the solution.

5. benchdogs macrumors newbie

Are you running Parallels or Fusion on the Aluminum iMac?

if so, Finder may be showing the Windows virtual machine on the iMac. If that is the case, just change the windows computer name.

6. ltldrummerboy thread starter macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Nope, no virtualization on either machine. I did have the trial of VMware Fusion on my MacBook but that's long gone. No Boot Camp on either machine anymore.

Ignoring it isn't actually a bad solution.

7. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

One more thing you could try: Making another account on the machine affected and seeing if the issue persists in that account. That would narrow it down to whether it was a system-wide glitch or just related to something with your account.

8. ltldrummerboy thread starter macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Adding an account to both the MacBook and the iMac made no difference. The MAC address still show up in the sidebar. I'll mess around with the printer. I'm wondering if it could be that.

Edit: I turned off printer and screen sharing in the iMac's prefs, and nothing has changed yet. I'm at my wit's end. Here's to Snow Leopard.

9. ltldrummerboy thread starter macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

themoonisdown09, what's your setup look like? I have file, screen, and printer sharing enabled on the iMac. File and printer sharing are Windows-enabled.

10. ltldrummerboy thread starter macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I think it appears when SMB file sharing is turned on. Does anyone else with the issue find this to be the case?

Edit: Scratch that. It's back.

11. benchdogs macrumors newbie

Just a few more questions...

I noticed that you are using the ethernet port to connect ot the network. Is airport also on? I would like to know if the MAC address shown in Finder is for airport or ethernet. I ask because I played with my iMac's network settings and managed to make my iMac appear as a PC server when browsing Finder on my other macs. It appeared only as a PC, not as a mac, but I can't seem to recreate it now.

Is there more that one DNS server on the network? I assume that the netgear is running DNS, maybe there is another that you may not be aware of.

12. ltldrummerboy thread starter macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Here's my setup. iMac and another PC plugged in to wireless router via ethernet cables. MacBook connects to said router wirelessly. MacBook shows iMac, MAC address, and PC in Finder sidebar. Clicking on either of the first two shows the shared contents of the iMac. Router set to get DNS automatically from ISP.

New symptom: the MAC address shows even when the iMac is asleep, but not when both the iMac and PC are asleep. I'm almost sure this has something to do with Windows file sharing.

I don't know if there's another DNS server. Is there simple way to check? Sorry I don't know this.

13. benchdogs macrumors newbie

14. vectorious macrumors newbie

I had this problem, I fixed it

I had been searching everywhere to fix this. It drove me crazy to see my mac address in the sidebar.

All you have to do is go the sharing preference pane and at the top there is a computer name.

If it's blank you will see the mac address.
    I think this happens when you get on a network with another computer that has the same name as yours.

15. briansrad81 macrumors newbie

MAC Address shows up in finder

All I had to do with disable file sharing then enable it again. just that easy!

16. JustAnotherDude macrumors newbie

Incredibly Helpful!!!!

Thanks a ton!!! I just ran into this and am going to blame the boy for turning this on and causing the false alarm....

Thanks again.