.Mac address suddenly now works

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by BobbyBearCSRA, May 23, 2014.

1. BobbyBearCSRA macrumors newbie

I had an old .mac address that I moved to MobileMe way back when and used that for a year before I let it lapse since I knew that MobileMe was going to be free within the year. When MobileMe went free I was told that since I let it lapse the .Mac address would never work again but I could use that same username but just with .Me instead of .Mac. BUT I could still use "username@mac.com" as my AppleID. Didn't make any sense to me but I resigned myself that I had lost that .Mac address forever for email purposes. I even tested it myself to see if by some miracle the address worked but it didn't.

Now about a month or so back I received 2 emails from some places I used from about 4 years ago sent to my old .Mac address. When I test it now emails go through! I got my old .Mac email address back!! Yippee!!

Anybody know why this has happened?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

3. Alrescha macrumors 68020

I have no idea, but I can confirm the same behavior with my old .mac account. About every six months I try to send an email to it to see if it works, and it has always bounced. But not today :)

Thanks for the heads-up.

A.

4. impaler macrumors 6502

My .mac address has always been my primary, through the MobileMe era and now with iCloud.

By the way, MobileMe was never free. iCloud was the first free service since iTools back in 2000; and is only free for the first 5GB of storage.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My .mac account has always worked - never stopped. I typically use this or the iCloud. I hated the .me so made sure my mail app never used this ;)

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Same here. My @mac.com address still works, always had, and I don't configure Mail.app to use @me or @icloud. In fact, my @mac.com is my primary email account too.