MAC Address

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by jcvalle, Aug 7, 2009.

1. jcvalle macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to place this question is but it's as close as I can find.

My question is, is there a way to locate the MAC address of a device on a shared network I set up via my MacBook. It would look something like this..

I'm getting internet via Ethernet to my MacBook, I would then share my internet through the Airport, which is how my Blu-ray player would get internet. I'm trying to find the MAC address of my Blu-ray player.

I know it seems really weird to do the wireless internet to my Blu-ray how I'm doing it, it's a long story..but is there anyway to view device information on my MacBook of devices that are using my shared internet?

Thanks for any help!

2. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Open Terminal and use the arp command with the IP address of the BluRay device, for example:

arp 192.168.0.100

arp is used to determine the MAC address behind an IP address or hostname.

3. jcvalle thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your reply, I did what you said and got the mac address of..

0:23:8:71:53:68

but from my knowledge of MAC addresses, aren't they supposed to be xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, six series of two digit numbers? any thoughts?

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

arp drops any preceding zeros, so the MAC is 00:23:08:71:53:68