Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunohc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
hey everyone,
new here though I've been lurking for quite some time.

I got a new macbook air 13" in January and I love almost everything about it but two things:

1) the loud fan.
it heats up pretty quick if it's on my lap and I'm just surfing the internet,
and the fan is louuuud. I honestly have no idea how the laptop cools itself though since I don't see any vents nor feel air coming out of it.

I do have a cooling fan for it but for the times when I have it on my lap, I wish the sound of the fan wasn't so distracting...
Is there a way / program that any of you use for Macbook airs that helps control the heating problem? (or is this unusual for my macbook air)

2) slight click noise on the left side (left of the trackpad)
It'll make slight clicking noises when I touch it or grab the laptop on that side.
I've noticed that the 13" macbook air feels a bit LESS dense and compact as the 11" macbook air (that my brother has).
It feels like it'd snap or crack if when I put pressure on the laptop closed (while the 11" doesn't give me that feeling)

Just some quick questions I had about my macbook air.
The heating problem has been bothering a bit more lately, especially since it's getting hotter where I am.

I'm getting used to the clicking noises but it is annoying some times.

Daniel

sunohc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
my brother has the 11 air and he has never had that clicking problem i think..

on iStat, usually only CPU temperature goes up to 80 C
the rest is at 30-ish

the RPM goes up to 5000-ish though when I am using 50-70% CPU

just downloaded coolbook gonna try that out too

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
Could a bearing be going bad causing the clicking and slow speeds to heat up the laptop?

Also if you're browsing youtube n what not, I noticed flash heats up the laptop like crazy, download the latest 10.12 I believe. It reduces CPU processing and heat.

Mr. Savage

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
Toronto
1) the loud fan.
it heats up pretty quick if it's on my lap and I'm just surfing the internet,
and the fan is louuuud. I honestly have no idea how the laptop cools itself though since I don't see any vents nor feel air coming out of it.

Does the MBA only heat up when its on your lap or does it also heat up when used on a flat surface?? The vents on the MBA are very narrow and thus, easily blocked— especially if you happen to prop it up on a pillow etc. while it's on your lap.

zulumonk

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2009
I have a clicking noise as well on the left side of my Air. I'm afraid that it might snap one day, but I know that it shouldn't. I'm tempted to take it in to a Apple store and see what they have to say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.