Mac Air hinges. Is this normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nariza7, Jul 14, 2013.

1. nariza7 macrumors member

I have a mac air 11 inch, and when I tilt the screen to certain degrees (either almost closed or almost opened), it would either close by itself or open completely. I was googling this up and saw this video with a 13 inch that shows the same looseness from the hinges. Is this how most macbook airs are? I have an STM grip hardshell case on mine which may contribute to excess weight that burdens the monitor.

Here is the video showing a mac air with the hinge situation that I am facing for mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH4XDgGW_dw

I forgot to test the mac airs at bestbuy and the applestore, but I may do that sometime later.

2. coolio93 macrumors 6502

No. The hinge should hold the display no matter what angle you hold the laptop in. I would take it back to replace it. My hinges are nice and stiff

Edit: if it isn't closing or opening the lid itself when the hard case is off then it is normal. The case is probably adding more weight than the hinges are designed to hold in place.

3. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Take the case off and try again. My 13" with no case does not do this at all, and the hinges are very stiff. I would be more likely to blame the additional weight than the hinge, so let us know how things go

4. chrfr macrumors 603

I have a 2012 11" Air, and the screen stays put at whatever angle I choose, regardless of how I tilt the computer itself. I have no case on the computer.

5. opinio macrumors 65816

There are a few hex screws holding the hinges down. If youhave a hex kit you could check to see if they are loose.

6. nariza7 thread starter macrumors member

I took the top lid off and it does stay in place better. When I have it tilted a few angles off max open angle(like before with the case on) and I pick it up, it does fully tilt open though. That's only if I pick it up. I think I will take a look at the ones in the applestore tomorrow and see if they also tilt like mine. Thanks for the feedback guys

7. InfinitiG macrumors 6502

People that ruin their macs with snap on cases :confused: