Mac Air Over Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bilalo, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Bilalo macrumors 6502

I'm gonna make this simple, MBP Retina will cost me around $1000 extra bucks, i know its worth it and better but i don't want what i don't need, i wanted to ask, i want to buy a laptop in which my use of it would be everything except gaming, so music, videos, movies, browsing, uni stuff, not programming or engineering, just normal stuff, is the mac air good enough for all of that? And in addition if i decided to play games would it support it or not at all? Games like world of warcraft, league of legends, dota 2 etc... Thank you :)

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yes.

Yes.

I have the newest 11" Air.

It runs everything my 13" MBP did, and most of it faster.

While I can't guarantee every game will run perfectly, either MBA would be easily be okay for everything else you mentioned.

Save the money and use it on a nice external monitor.

3. TjeuV macrumors 6502

Don't expect games to run as you'd like them to run on your MBA. For one, Fan will go bananas on you.

4. Bilalo thread starter macrumors 6502

I wanted to ask is mountain lion good with the air or laggy and so on? If i get the air its gna be 13" top specs, and will it slow down or whatever if i fill up around 100-150 gigabytes of HD space

5. OwenMeasures macrumors 6502

OwenMeasures

I am using 13" low spec... ML absolutely fine for me!

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Nope

Unless you're filling your HD more than 90% full, you should never have a problem with it ever slowing down.

ML has been great. Had Lion for a few weeks, ML seems smoother.

7. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Discreet graphics are always better for games have you considered a regular 15" macbook pro?

8. EggrollShop macrumors member

I second that, seems like a regular 15" MBP would be good for you. But if you want just a bit more portability get the air I loved mine when I had it :)

9. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

also to add to my previous post if you are debating between the 13" macbook air and the 13" macbook pro I strongly recommend the air. SSD storage makes all the difference.

10. Bilalo thread starter macrumors 6502

Im considering the MBP retina actually, gna save a few more bucks and get it since its gna be a 3-4 year laptop and i will be gaming, just one question 2.6 GhZ and 2.7 GhZ has $300 difference in price is it tht worth it? :S

11. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

you don't need the retina model you can have the same specs with a more reparable machine without the retina and save a few bucks.

The retina MBP is the least repairable computer

12. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Get the Air if you actually go out lot with it. Othersise, for home use, get retina

13. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Go with your gut feeling. Only you know which one has the greatest appeal. Both have good resale, therefore they're easy to sell if you choose the wrong one.

14. Bilalo thread starter macrumors 6502

Not gonna get the air because i wanna play games like wow and so on so mbp is what ill get and i dont mind spending a few bucks since i cant put 16 gb ram on a normal mbp and gettin a normal one with ssd 512 will cost quite close to a mbpr so.
    I know repairing it is ****** but im getting the applecare so all on them i dont need to unscrew it.
    I like the air being lighter but I realized gaming or graphics is an imp spec for me :S

15. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Let's hope that machine doesn''t break when it's out of warranty. I would also max out the specs so you aren't disappointed if you need more power down the line.

16. Bauer24 macrumors regular

Doubtful he'll be disappointed with the specs. And I wouldn't lose sleep over it breaking out of warranty. While it can happen, the probability is so remote as to be a waste of time and energy thinking about it.

To OP: The money to go from 2.6 to 2.7 is NOT worth it. Just go 2.6 Ghz/512 SSD/16 GB RAM.

Good choice on the Retina Pro, it's an amazing machine.

17. Bilalo thread starter macrumors 6502

18. Bauer24 macrumors regular

No problem. Be sure to come back and post your impressions. I.e. let us know if you feel you've made the right call.