MAC alternative to garageband

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ibookfreak94, Jun 13, 2007.

1. ibookfreak94 macrumors newbie

Hi, i am new here and i have a G3 ibook 600mhz. proccessor, 40 GB hard drive and a DVD-CD combo drive. I dont want ilife for garageband because i have a G3 processor and i heard that "software instruments", whatever that means, do not work with g3 proccssors, so does anyone know a good alternative Mac Garageband type app. for my ibook? Prefferably cheap.:) :apple: :apple: :apple: :cool:

2. ibookfreak94 thread starter macrumors newbie

oops

i forgot to mention that i have mac OS x 10.4.9

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Calm down kiddo. Your Mac can't keep up with Garageband so what makes you think it'll keep up with equivalents? You'll need something more basic, no doubt. Tell us more specifically what you want to do with the app and we might be able to find something for you. In the meantime, start saving for a faster Mac. :)

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I suspected the same thing, but didn't want to rule anything out. Most likely, it would be better to get a newer computer.

5. ibookfreak94 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok

Im kinda New to Macs altogether i just use garageband for fun. not podcasts or anything. I could use anything that is somewhat like garageband.

6. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

You could try and pick up an old used copy of Reason (like maybe Reason 1 or 2, I doubt you could run Reason 3).

7. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

Ableton Live
    Pro Tools
    Digital Performer
    Cubase
    Logic
    among others... nothing cheap.

Older versions of garageband will work on a G3. What apple calls 'software instruments' is literally a synthesizer. A software synthesizer.

8. mrlonnybrooks macrumors newbie

6 GB Alternatives

http://www.techshout.com/alternatives/2013/15/garageband-alternatives/

9. xylitol macrumors regular

10. capuzino macrumors regular

Audacity might work the best and be the easiest to use. Ardour too except it takes time and effort to set up.

Well that's a list full of heavy DAWs, wouldn't compare those to Garageband.

Edit: Except those older builds and LE versions of course.