Mac and Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macalopolis, Aug 28, 2009.

1. macalopolis macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any clue as to when Apple will support Blu-Ray? Seems to me that they are way behind the times which is unusual for a company that leads here?

2. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Meaning? :confused::mad:

Apple already completely supports Blu-ray. You can read and write to Blu-ray data disks, and you can burn Blu-ray movies to be watched on your Mac and on Blu-ray players.

The only thing you cannot do is watch Hollywood movies straight from the disks themselves, but since you can rip the movies to a file to be put into your iTunes library, that is a moot point.

Again, Apple has Blu-ray support. All you want is a $700 Blu-ray drive option when you can just go buy one for $100 and put it in yourself. You'll just complain about the price if/when Apple offers one, anyway.

4. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

I dunno:confused: but you showed up promptly as expected:D

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No it's not a moot point. Ripping a Blu Ray isn't exactly a quick or easy process and certainly not something the average user will know how to do. Macs will not have complete Blu Ray support until I can put a Blu Ray movie in and begin watching it immediately.

6. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

With the inability of playing a Bluray movie (due to encryption all studio produced movies have), how in the world is that considered full support?

Hopefully that rumor a while ago about iTunes 9 will turn out true....

7. jseyf5 macrumors member

jseyf5

exactly. its not full support. Its not full support until i can buy a blu ray movie at bestbuy, go home and put the blu ray disk in my laptop, and watch it instantly. hopefully with itunes 9 this will be possible

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Welcome to the world of Tallest Skil. ;)

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

So both Apple and the studios are to blame. You'll either need to write your own Blu-ray support or deal with it for now.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No, it's just Apple. Windows can play Blu Ray movies

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The point still stands.

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No, it doesn't. You said blame Apple and the studios. You can only blame Apple for the lack of Blu Ray support, the studios have nothing to do with it.

13. macalopolis thread starter macrumors newbie

blu-ray

I am asking about being able to watch a blu-ray movie on one of my 3 macs. You have been able to do it on a pc for a while and it pisses me off that we cannot do this on a far superior machine :-(

14. old-wiz macrumors G3

No one knows when or if Apple will put blu-ray in the Mac line. Apple is really more focused on downloadable content.

15. macinfojunkie macrumors regular

macinfojunkie

If Apple wanted to support Blu Ray they could have done so 12 months ago. If a small no name player maker can manage to negotiate the licensing and produce a playback unit which sells for <$200 at the low end supermarkets, then surely Apple can manage it on the Mac. All this BS about it being a "painful" process is just political posturing.

Fact is they don't seem to want to support it for some reason. Maybe they think that everyone will be happy with their inferior HD download offering. I own a few AppleTVs and a few Macs. I spend 1000s a year on DVD and Blu Ray. I only own 2 iTunes Movies - both of which I obtained as digital download bonus with the physical media. Both are crap. I'm not paying £4.5/$7 to rent an inferior HD product when I can drive to the store and get full HD with Full HD audio codecs for £2.5/$4, which also come with all the extras.

Apple gets it right a lot of the time, but if it thinks not supporting Blu Ray will make a jot of difference to the move market it is dreaming. There are way many more people out there buying movies than there are fanboys who'll only buy things from Apple.

Try projecting the Apple iTunes movies. They look terrible. the HD rentals are passable, but still only about the same as properly upscaled DVD. Way, way off Blu Ray.

16. Lokrado macrumors regular

does apple even put blue-ray drives in macs?

17. old-wiz macrumors G3

Windows under bootcamp can access an external DVD drive.
    Apple does not put blu-ray drives in any mac yet.

Some people have tried to put them in, probably with not a lot of luck.