Mac and Computer Science

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BigMacUBC, Sep 3, 2010.

1. BigMacUBC macrumors newbie

Hi guys.

I'm about to start my computer science major and was wondering if my current MacBook pro would be sufficient. I currently have the 13 inch 2.4 GHz MacBook pro. The thing is I have no idea what programs I will be using. Also what specs should I aim for if I do decide to replace my current laptop. Thanks in advance!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Nearly any Mac will work, since most CS programs utilize Unix and Linux to teach you about programming. OS X is based on Unix, so programming in JAVA, C, and C++ will work with no issue. C# will require installation of Windows, and Objective C/Cocoa, will work with just XCode in OS X.

I would recommend a MacBook Pro, simply so the machine will still be relatively new by the time you are done with school.

TEG

3. bigjobby macrumors 65816

I don't think there's any need to replace your current MBP. A 15" would be nice for the extra real estate but that's about it really. You shouldn't have a problem with the 13" lasting you through your course IMO.

Do consider a good backup device if you haven't already got one.

4. BigMacUBC thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Just curious is the backup device just incase my MacBook pro has issues?

5. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Any hard drives regardless of brand and age of unit can fail. Its a very good idea to have a backup strategy in the event of a hard drive failure and could also be a good archiving solution should you need to release some space from your local machine. Carrying alot of data solely on one machine is a huge risk especially on a laptop and getting into a routine of backing up is best practice.

Best be safe than sorry I'd say.