.mac and iPhone Integration?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mtrctyjoe, May 21, 2007.

1. mtrctyjoe macrumors 6502

mtrctyjoe

Will .mac and iPhone be integrated? I mean will my address book and iCal all sync up with the phone? I never recall Apple ever saying the iPhone will be in real time sync with .mac and my other Macs... Just wondering if anyone else has heard anything.

2. neven macrumors 6502a

I believe all iPhone syncing will be done through your computer. When you dock/sync iPhone, it will sync to the computer, which is set to sync to .Mac.

It would be interesting if iPhone synced instantaneously with .mac - you add a new contact on iPhone and they get beamed up to .mac via WiFi/EDGE right away - but I can't think of a situation where it would be THAT useful. I'm guessing we'll be syncing/charging our iPhone about once a day so it will all be seamless for most uses.

Perhaps if you had someone at home on the computer and you wanted them to see the contact/event you created on your iPhone right away...

3. rayward macrumors 65816

As per Job's Keynote address, the iPhone will sync with your Mac (or PC) via iTunes. He said it will automatically pick up all your e-mail accounts and web bookmarks as well as your music and video (of course).

Syncing via the internet was never mentioned, but given that the phone/browsing battery life is estimated at 6 hours, and this thing's going to be hard to put down for the first few weeks at least, I suspect we'll all be dropping it in the cradle on a regular basis.

4. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

i was thinking about this the other day. on the fly syncing would be nice, but probably not absolutely critical. what i'm really hoping for is a surprise announcement that .mac email will be pushed to the iphone. i think that would be a nice complement to the free Yahoo push email announced at the keynote. this would certainly be a boost for the .mac service and may impact its sales to mac users...

5. mtrctyjoe thread starter macrumors 6502

mtrctyjoe

Agreed....

Yes.. I certainly hope that if they push Yahoo mail - they will plan to push .Mac Mail! And like the other forum members mentioned - iCal and Addreess book can always sync up via a hard sync (which is fine). It will be interesting how .mac ties in if at all....

6. strange macrumors newbie

.mac and pushmail

If I remember correctly, Steve said something like "and of course the .mac-mail" I am almost certain that they will. If not, how could theu expect people to continue their membership?:)

.macuser:)

7. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

call me a geek :eek: but i watched the keynote again (the iphone introduction only) just the other night, and he did mention .mac but in the context of being able to use the iphone to get .mac mail (IMAP), *not* push email. the only push email option he mentioned was yahoo.

8. strange macrumors newbie

9. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

i'm not alone! :D that last time was my 3rd time. ;)

10. NightStorm macrumors 68000

I believe he hinted to .mac in the latest financial conference a couple weeks ago, and acknowledged that the service wasn't competitive and hinted that changes may be announced at WWDC. This may have nothing to to with iPhone and more with Leopard, but worth thinking about imo.