Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wngraham

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2006
Nashville, TN
This is probably a ridiculous newbie question, with an extremely obvious answer, but here's my dilemma:

Is there a way to keep your .mac webmail and Mail app independant from each other while still using the same account?

In other words, whenever I delete messages from either, they're deleted from both. That's what I'm NOT wanting to happen. I'd like to keep ALL my email in the Mail app, and only certain messages in webmail.

I've previously always used POP accounts with Outlook Express and/or Thunderbird, and this was possible.

I'm sure it has something to do with IMAP synchronization or some other protocol I'm not familiar with, but if anyone could help it would be unbelievably appreciated.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
My recommendation would be to make a new folder in Mail, under the .Mac account. Specify that the location be 'On My Mac'. This way, you can copy your incoming messages to this folder, and delete them as you please without affecting your .mac webmail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.