Mac and Mid-Range Machines?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hatchet, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Hatchet macrumors regular

Ok, so I'm about 90% into the final decision process of getting a mac.

I've asked a few general questions on here about decision making and I've come up with some final thoughts before I purchase.

Yet, there isn't quite a perfect fit for me.

What do I mean?

Well, I'm a desktop guy, but after looking over the specs and options for the mac mini, it just doesn't do the trick.

So next, the iMac. Love it, can't say anything bad about it and loved playing around on it at the store. However, the fact that I am limited to only using that monitor is a bit uneasy to me. I like having control on being able to pick a monitor on my own. The specs however are right up my alley.

Ok, so you say, why don't you go for the Mac Pro? Well, it's a little too much. Too much ability to upgrade and too big for me size wise. I just don't need all of that.

I know, it sounds like I'm picky but I was wondering if anyone else would be interested in seeing a mid range, slim desktop type mac or something to fit someone like me without having to go with a MBP and use an external display or being limited with the standard iMac displays.

I guess as my final thought, an upgrade of the mac mini with a faster processor, more memory, more storage and a better video card and the ability to upgrade a little (not nearly like the Mac Pro) would be perfect fit for me.

Thoughts?

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

i do think if you were to get a 24" you will not be dissapointed in the monitor at all. the big 24" screens are gorgeous.

3. Hatchet thread starter macrumors regular

They are gorgeous, I agree. The issue I have with them are the glossy screens in the work environment I am in. I love the iMac (specs especially), no doubt it's just I think my eyes would be better suited with a non-glossy monitor.