.mac and multiple email accounts?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sk3pt1c, Jun 24, 2008.

1. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

with one subscription to .mac, can i have multiple email accounts?

2. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

3. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

i think i'm ok with that, but how will it appear in Mail, will i have different inboxes and so on for the different aliases?
    i'm thinking about dumping some of my accounts and keeping my .mac or .me account now that mobileMe is coming to make good use of the push availability, cause i'm getting an iPhone as well...
    i'm guessing push will only work with .me email accounts and not gmail, even though i do have it in Mail, right?
    so, the down side to aliases is... ???

4. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

made one as a test, you get it in your inbox, but i guess you can organize them using smart mailboxes and so on...

i'm actually thinking of ditching my 3 Gmail accounts for .me aliases, all because of the Push capabilities advertised for mobileMe...
    thing is, if i have smart mailboxes to separate my aliases, will i be able to view them on my iPhone and online at me.com ?

i know gmail rocks, but you can't beat a service when all parts of it are made and programmed by the same company...

any downsides to aliases?

5. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

If you looked at the links I provided it pretty much explains it all regarding .Mac.

Mobile me will pretty much be very close, but that can all change last minute.

6. zim macrumors 65816

zim

You can also buy an additional email account for $10.00. The email account is for email only, no iDisk. This is how my wife and I have ours set up, I have have the primary account and she has an add on email only account.

7. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

i read those links and a few more, they don't say for sure that you can see your smart folders on your iphone or online at me.com...

anyone have any negatives to aliases that are worth noting?

8. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

My wife and I are set up the saem as Zim above. Works flawlessly.

I have four aliases set up and have activated and deleted a few others. I make up aliases to use as that email adress that a web site needs, but it is only to get activation link or to give out as email to someone I really don't know. Then I can just delete the email alias if junk mail heads my way. If you are checking your own email then I see no problem with going with Alias only. IF you feel down the road you need a separate one then you can always add it later. also, do the free trial and see for yourself what you need.

9. sk3pt1c thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk3pt1c

i am a .mac member already, tried the alias and it looks like it works ok...

i was just wondering if there are any downsides to them from your experience...

i will use them as proper email accounts though, not just for a few emails that i don't want in my main inbox, that's my problem...

and seeing as gmail does rock, i'm kind of skeptical about removing all my gmail accounts and opting for aliases...