Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tacoman667

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
I came from a PC. I could plug into work and not need to authenticate to my network but plug in proxy settings and get to the internet. I never had to hit AD and I never had to cache network configurations.

I swear that my Mac responds just little bit slower while I'm at work because I haven't a clue if this works the same out of the box or if I need to change something. FF has proxy settings and I have no problem but still get the system lag. When I am at home, my machine is zip zip zippy doing the exact same things but without proxy or network firewalls and authentication. I understand network firewalls and proxies can cause some lag but not on stuff i do locally on my box even when all the browsers are off!

I hope I am making some sense in my questions and examples. Could someone enlighten me on how I might be able to access my proxy but shutoff the authentication with AD on my mac? I hate the group policies they use at the office.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
No idea what AD is but are you looking for this?

1002459b.png

System Preferences --> Network --> Airport Advanced --> Proxies

tacoman667

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
No idea what AD is but are you looking for this?

1002459b.png

System Preferences --> Network --> Airport Advanced --> Proxies

I forgot to state that I have already configured my proxies without issue. My Macbook Pro just seems to react slower as if it were trying to authenticate with the Active Directory on the windows-based network in the office when I just want to shut that off completely and tall it to only use the proxy.

I already cloned my Automatic network setting in order to turn on proxies and I flip back and forth depending on my environment. Does anyone think this may be the cause of my slow responsiveness?

elmz

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
AD=Active Directory. How do you authenticate to the Proxy server?

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
I forgot to state that I have already configured my proxies without issue. My Macbook Pro just seems to react slower as if it were trying to authenticate with the Active Directory on the windows-based network in the office when I just want to shut that off completely and tall it to only use the proxy.

I already cloned my Automatic network setting in order to turn on proxies and I flip back and forth depending on my environment. Does anyone think this may be the cause of my slow responsiveness?

Did you configure your DNS settings and Search Domains?

tacoman667

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Did you configure your DNS settings and Search Domains?

No but the fields are filled as if it found them on it's own and use them ad default since I have not input them myself.

I authenticate my proxy using my network login/password. This works and gets me access to the internet but that is all i want. I do NOT want to use AD or any directory services and group policy on this Mac as they are retarded here and cannot configure it properly. They cannot even write a good PAC proxy file for auto proxy configuration so i hit right to the server:port.

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
No but the fields are filled as if it found them on it's own and use them ad default since I have not input them myself.

I authenticate my proxy using my network login/password. This works and gets me access to the internet but that is all i want. I do NOT want to use AD or any directory services and group policy on this Mac as they are retarded here and cannot configure it properly. They cannot even write a good PAC proxy file for auto proxy configuration so i hit right to the server:port.

I assume that you are getting your IP address thru DHCP. Is there any way to get a static address assigned to you? If so I would configure everything manually (make a new location in your Network Prefs).

If not, try adding this to the Proxy settings "Bypass proxy settings..." at the bottom of the window:

127.0.0.1 and the main domain names of your company.
(instead of *.local)

Example:

10.0.0.0/8, 127.0.0.1, xyz.com, uvw.com

Note that you will have to find the server names (fully qualified domain name as in "server.ddc.ddcorp.com") that you connect to for the other proxy settings and port numbers (usually 8080) and fill them in. You can get these from you network admin.

Example:

Web Proxy: servername.xyz.com 8080

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.