Mac and NTFS

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BoulderBum, Mar 6, 2009.

1. BoulderBum macrumors 6502a

I'm considering getting my first Mac, and am in the stages of doing research.

So far, I've discovered a few wrinkles, one being NTFS file support. Has anyone used the NTFS drivers for Mac and, if so, what do you think?

2. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

The MacFuse/NTFS-3G solution works just fine.

S-

3. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I have used both the free Macfuse+NTFS-3G and the not free paragon NTFS software.
    They are pretty much the same, I find the macfuse one a little slower though......
    But they are both much much slower than native ntfs in windows.

4. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Mac OSX will read NTFS-formatted volumes fine, just so you know. For full read/write support, you will need to get some sort of 3rd party utility.

As others have mentioned, you have a few options. I personally use Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X. The $40 cost is easy to justify if you are going to be working with Windows drives more than a few times, or of course if you have a general disregard for copyright law :D

At least OS X will let you read the drives out of the box, which is MUCH better than Windows' way of dealing with HFS+: simply denying that the disk even exists :rolleyes:

5. BoulderBum thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, guys!

I just discovered that NTFS shouldn't matter over a network because of SAMBA, is that correct?

6. belvdr macrumors 603

Yes. Only the system directly accessing the disk needs NTFS support. The network provides a translation.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

SMB is teh way to go, mac supports it natively with no extra additional software installed..

MacFuse + NTFS-3G for direct support.

8. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Correct. All you will have to do is Go/Connect to Server then enter the network location/name. Pretty simple, and you don't need NTFS support for it.

Certainly a nice thing to have though, god forbid all the OS's would just play nice :p

9. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Don't you just hate it when people don't supply all the pertinent information?

S-

10. BoulderBum thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I actually didn't know it was pertinent until my last post. :)