Mac and Office

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blueicedj, Jul 24, 2007.

1. blueicedj macrumors 6502

Simply put, I've decided I want a mac for college. I was wondering what mac comes with in terms of word, excel, and powerpoint.

2. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Simlply put, nothing comes with it unless you pay for it as far as office. It does come with iLife, but I feel it all is about as useful as wordpad is for windows personally (I know others will argue that to the death of me, but it's my opinion). With an education discount the Office package is pretty cheap, and you'll enjoy having it going between university computers and yours.

3. blueicedj thread starter macrumors 6502

would I be better off with Macs version of Office, with mac Microsoft office, or with bootcamp and the real office on XP?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I assume you mean Apple's version of Office? Mac is a product group, not a company. And the answer is if you want good Office compatibility the Office:Mac or perhaps Neo Office are the way to go.

5. tristan macrumors 6502a

NeoOffice is a decent product, but for school, you should get the Student version of Office, because that will help you share files with other people - i.e. group projects, turn in assignments electronically, etc. You'll want to run it in the OS X environment, not reboot all the way into Windows just to read a word file. FYI there's a new version of office coming out soon, so Office 2004 is heavily discounted now.

6. blueicedj thread starter macrumors 6502

oh cool, discounts are always nice. Thanks for your help, I'll probably end up getting the discounted MS word for Apple

7. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Actually its still Microsoft´s version, not Apple's seeing as how they don't own it. It is also made for Mac, not for Apple, hence the Office:Mac, seeing as how you install it on a Mac, the product group, not Apple, the company.

@OP I've had no problems transferring my files from my Mac to the university computers or vice versa - no formatting issues, no read issues etc. So I would just buy it for Mac, and forget about installing bootcamp and XP unless you have other Microsoft specific programs that you will also want to run.

8. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

Microsoft Office Student and Teacher Edition 2004 for Macintosh is what you want. It will have everything you need for school. I just bought my MBP for school too. I recommened buying it from Amazon because you already get the $125 price, and then a $20 mail-in rebate. Buying Office directly from Apple is going to cost you $25 more :)

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Off...0958?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1185307127&sr=8-1

9. ozontheroad macrumors 6502

ozontheroad

You might want to hold off getting Office:Mac 2004, its very good and has some extra features not found in the PC version, however it is PPC not Universal.

wait until the next version comes along and spend your 125 bucks on the newest and Universal version.

Macs come with a 30 day trial version. I am not sure if you just need to enter the serial :eek: :D to convert it to the full version or if you need to reinstall.

If you do not need it asap then definitely wait until you do before you buy and in the mean time just use the trial version.

I don't want to promote piracy so i'll just say...

cereals are easy to find :D

10. Angrist macrumors 6502

Don't buy Office from Apple.
    Don't get the "Student and Teacher Edition".

Check with you college bookstores, IT shop, and department. Most schools buy volume licenses for students to purchase.
    My copy of Office was $17 from the campus IT shop.

Your tuition has already paid for it, so why not benefit?

11. Gandhi macrumors regular

Listen to this man (woman?) and save money. You campus IT store probably ill sell you a copy of Win XP and/or Vista pretty cheap as well - for bootcamp purposes.

12. 2hondas macrumors regular

$17 bucks?? My Campus Computer Store sells it for $99!! I am gonna wait till the newer Office comes out...for now, I am using NeoOffice. :)

13. npep macrumors member

Anyone know when Office for Mac 2008 will come out? Second half of 2007 is all that I can find. Anyone know of a hard date?

14. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

Many schools are still using the older versions of Office on their networks. I know that everyone at my school (Florida State University) that has the new 2007 Office on Vista has to convert their documents to .rtf's if they want to print at school, which is a pain in the butt.

15. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

What your school is selling you is different. Your school is selling you a single license that you can use forever (well, as long as possible anyways). The $17 deal is temporary, and when you leave school, you won't (at least technically) be able to use it again. Of course, for a poor college student, it's still the best deal around and you should take full advantage of it if you can.

This also makes buying increddibly difficult. I'm still not sure which one to go with (although I think I will be going with 2008). I wish Microsoft would introduce backwards-compatability. I think its monopoly status allows it to get away with this:(

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

They haven't announced a firm date yet but it's looking like late 2007. I don't know where you got 2008 from.

17. npep macrumors member

Sorry, should have written 2007...I have edited the post. Thanks Nermal.

18. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Word and Excel: No problems.

Powerpoint: I've heard the Mac version has some compatibility issues with files created with Windows. Things like reading embedded media. I don't use Powerpoint, so I've never experienced these things first hand. Maybe someone else can chime in on issues they've found.

Access: I don't you didn't list Access in the initial request, but just in case you were thinking of using it, understand that Access for Mac does not exist.

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Why not just set the default save formats to be the Word 2000-2004 compatible formats? AFAIK, this is easy to do, has relatively little downside, and takes less than a minute. Cuz otherwise, get used to the world of managed IT. Why on earth would the university bother to go and install Vista or 07 on their computers when they offer very little value?

There are a couple of issues.... (1) fonts -- Windows and OS X have some different fonts installed. This is usually more of an issue when you go OS X -> Windows, because Windows doesn't have as many licensed fonts. (2) Image files -- this has to do with some quirks about how images are embedded in a file. If you take an image and you drag and drop it in OS X, for instance, it gets dropped into Powerpoint in such a way that Powerpoint believes it needs Quicktime to render the file. This is transparent in OS X, but if you don't have QT on Windows you get an empty box in place of the image. Usually, if you insert images using the insert picture from file option in the menus, this is also pretty much a non-issue. It seems to be more of a problem with Windows reading OS X PPTs (without QT) than vice versa. I'm not sure about video compatibility between platforms. Oh, the other minor thing is that Office 04 has some Quartz-based transitions that Mac users like (like the cube transition) that aren't in Windows. This is pretty transparent -- you don't get the cube, but otherwise, it behaves like you'd expect it to.

20. hammondc macrumors newbie

I have heard a lot of negative about Excel for Mac. Primarily about keyboard shortcuts and soem fx stuff. I for one am going to play it safe and get XP / MS Office for now since I rely heavily on MS Office and don;t want any chance of compatibility issues.

21. blueicedj thread starter macrumors 6502

well the reason for this is if they update their systems every so often, they would need to be installing Vista. By 2008 Dell isn't even going to sell computers without it. I know in the corporate world the computers are updated on a regular bases, so are forced to buy vista based computers.

22. L3X macrumors 6502a

I use Office 2007 here at work and at home. The new Word format is .docx, but you can save your files to .doc so that older versions of Office can open them.

It's a simple setting when you go to save your document. There's no need to save it in .rtf.

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Dell won't sell *you* a computer without Vista on it... when you are buying 10,000 licenses, the matter is somewhat different. ;) Not to mention that the vast majority of these computers are imaged by the IT staff based on available licenses anyway. It's fairly typical for everything Dell ships on the computer to be immediately wiped off, first thing that's done with the computer. We'll see when 2008 rolls around.

24. Mac In School macrumors 65816

This is true. When I bought 50 computers from Dell, they were more than happy to sell me a Windows 2000 machine long after they officially stopped selling them.

FYI: Dell hasn't switched their own computers (that the employees use) over to Vista yet. That's how much confidence they have in the OS. My buddy that works there tells me they're scared to death of it.

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Eh, they probably just have unrealistic expectations like expecting it to be compatible with their corporate apps, support their hardware, and be stable. :D Either that or they were waiting for better iTunes support so they can use their iPods and iPhones! :eek: :eek: