Mac and PC KVM Switch?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by STi-Thrill, Jun 23, 2009.

1. STi-Thrill macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I've had a MacBook Pro for about a year (in fact it might be exactly a year today). I recently just set up a new desk in my dorm and my room - I'm a somewhat avid gamer so I was given a Sony Vaio P4 Hyper Threaded and a really nice montior - a 22" widescreen. Anyway, I would like to be able to use both my awesome Mac and Vaio on this one lcd with a KVM switch. I had a Belkin in my room that I used but it didn't work :(

I'm really on a tight budget and do NOT want to spend anymore then $80 or so. Thanks for your help!

2. BORIStheBLADE macrumors regular

BORIStheBLADE

I have a Iogear usb kvm switch and it works with my mini. The only thing that I don't like is if I have the mini in sleep and go to switch to the pc it wakes up the mini.

3. qacjared macrumors regular

Make sure you have the proper adapter if your monitor needs VGA, and if it's USB it should just work.

Also, isn't the MacBook Pro faster than that Viao? The CPU certainly is.

4. MTI macrumors 65816

I tried using a Belkin Flip to have a P4 PC and an Intel iMac share a Samsung LCD and Microsoft keyboard/mouse. The changes in video resolution was a problem, despite locking the video settings on each computer. I was hoping Belkin would update the switch software.

5. STi-Thrill thread starter macrumors newbie

Of course it is. But try finding your favorite PC games that are made for a Mac... it just doesn't seem possible.

Also, I've tried running XP via bootcamp but the comp overheats like a son of a gun, so I trashed that idea. I'm talking temperatures nearing 190 degrees.