Mac and PC networking help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by yoitsmike92, Apr 17, 2010.

1. yoitsmike92 macrumors newbie

I recently got my first mac, a regular white macbook, and so far everything is working fine.
    The only thing is I can't get my mac to see my pc on the wireless network and vis versa. I connected to the internet just fine through the router, but I can't see to get file sharing going, any tips?

PS I have followed several guides online, but so far none of them have addressed what to do if the computers can't see eachother in the first place

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Have you turned on File Sharing within System Pref. > Sharing?

3. yoitsmike92 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah file sharing is enabled, and i have it set to smb, as well as the same workgroup name

4. primes macrumors newbie

Firewalls? Antivirus?

Try turning off all the firewalls. Turn off the one on the PC first (temporarily), and also make sure that if you have some other 3rd party firewalls (not Microsoft, maybe Norton) turn those off as well. If the network starts working then it is a firewall issue. Then turn off the one on the Mac (same goes if you are running Norton on the Mac, turn it off temporarily). You can try pinging the PC from the Mac and vs (this can indicate a networking/firewall issue). Don't forget to turn them back on if you solve the problem this way.