Mac and PS3

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Albone, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Albone macrumors regular

Hey I just finally ordered a PS3 and I'm looking forward to playing games like Call of Duty, God of War and Final Fantasy.

I've heard many mixed things about the compatibility between macs and ps3s though and doing a google search gives you lots of info from as far back as 2007. For instance, I read that you could watch hulu with ps3, but now you can't, but yes you can if you run a hack. Also, I read that you could stream content from your mac to the ps3 and now you can't, but you can with a usb device.

So as of now, what do you guys use your PS3's for besides gaming?
    (I do get the irony of that question, especially being a child of the 80's.)

2. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

For streaming from Mac OSX to PS3, this has been the best solution for me by far.

http://www.yazsoft.com/products/playback/

For getting Hulu working, I don't know any solutions that work with Mac OSX.

3. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84

There are a number of apps out there to stream content from a Mac to a PS3. Most cost $20-$50. If you would rather use a free alternative, I would recommend PS3 Media Server. It is not updated as often as the more "professional" releases and doesn't have as many features, but it works well for streaming video.

4. pagardur macrumors newbie

pagardur

+1

Excellent application. Don't give up if you cannot setup it at first try, it's worth the effort.

5. GoWSox macrumors newbie

GoWSox

i tried all the little chat features, but tried of them quickly, its purely an online gaming thing for me

6. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I use MediaLink by Nullriver Software to stream movies/music/photos from my iMac to my Playstation 3.

I think I might try a demo of Playback by Yazsoft to see if it's better than MediaLink.

7. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

I use Rivet for the Xbox 360, and it has support for the Playstation 3. For the 360 works great.

8. Albone thread starter macrumors regular

So, if I downloaded free content from youtube or hulu (nothing copyright protected) to my desktop, would these streaming options like Playback and PS3 media server get it onto the ps3?

9. kyleh613 macrumors regular

Putting in my vote for this. Do not buy something to stream media to your PS3, not when you can do it easily for free.

Yes, so long as it is in a video format, such as .avi, .mkv, etc. it will play just fine.

10. Albone thread starter macrumors regular

PS3 Media Server has been working great so far. The only hiccup I've had is the digital copy of Batman Begins won't work but I have the DVD of it anyways (actually, the digital copy came with the DVD). Thanks for the PS3 suggestions!!

The only thing I'm considering now is possibly getting PlayOn and running it on Virtual Box to run hulu on my TV. Both have a trial period so it won't hurt to try.