mac and teething problems

likosoad

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2005
I am about to buy a new powerbook 15 inch this month. The site is advicing not to do that, because it's near the end of a cycle. But I was wondering, if apple does bring out a new powerbook, a totally new one. Won't it have teething problems? Does anyone know if the former powerbooks and iBooks had any problems in the beginning?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Apple usually does a good job of testing. But when there are problems, Revision A's are usually the ones having them. I personally would never buy the first Revision. Powerbooks are $2000+. I'd rather be on the safe side.

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
Teething

biohazard_6969 said:
teething? wats that?
The first painful experience that a new human goes through as he grows into his final form as an adult.

Or the painful experience that a new hardware form factor goes through as it grows into its final form.

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
oooooooo ok. wait...then shouldn't that mean it gets better as time goes on? cause i know rev a's are usually the worst, which makes perfect sense. it takes trial and errror and time to get a product right

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
Hmmmm

You're right. I didn't think that one through. Teeth do get worse after they get better. Root canals and all. :)

Let's give this a try:

Expected pain and difficulties that occur at the early stages of a new person/product.

How's that? :D

likosoad

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2005
thanks for the help guys! :)
In a week or so it's my birthday and I'm gonna buy the powerbook, can't wait.. :D

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
I don't think there's any problem buying a rev A machine. Usually if there is a problem, it's not really that big of a deal, and if it is, Apple usually does something about it, like replace a part etc. Sure that can be a pain, but I don't really think it should keep people from buying computers.

iHacker

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2005
Rev A's are ok

I dont think anyone should hesitae from buying a rev A. We are waiting so long so apple can make Rev A's have litle to no problems. ;) :cool:

macdon401

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2005
Wait!

if Apple is bringing out a new line on PowerBooks I imagine it will be the bump to G5's, now if your not doing some pretty heavy video edits or huge photoshop
files, the G4 current line should be fine .... but I just bought a G5 iMac the day after Apple anounced the new 2.0 iMac's , my retailer had a price drop of about
$300 to $400, for the 1.8 I bought!!
With the savings I bought more RAM and money left over!
Just a thought!
Randy