Mac and Ubuntu Dual Boot?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Macabuntu, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Macabuntu macrumors newbie

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Partition your hard drive and install Ubuntu on one partition, OS X on the other.

3. Macabuntu thread starter macrumors newbie

ok. and if i do this, it would work the same way as windows dual boot?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Should be the same but to be safe, visit Ubuntu's forums. They'll have guides to install Ubuntu on a Mac

5. Macabuntu, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2012

Macabuntu thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol the only reason I want ubuntu is to play steam through wine but im too cheap to get windows 7. Thanks for steering me in the correct direction!

6. r0k, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2012

r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

You have wine on OSX. You have steam on OSX. Definitely don't waste time, money and disk space on Windows just for Steam and only consider Linux (for wine) if you can't get your app working in winebottler or crossover.

7. Damers macrumors regular

I have played around with dual booting various linux distro's along with OS X, Ubuntu 11.10 included. In my experience, the linux distro's don't run very well with apple hardware (to clarify, my mac hardware MBP 7,1). There is alot of extra work involved to get a distro up and running, ie: I had to install broadcom drivers for my wireless, nVidia driver for my GPU. Most, if not all, linux apps are available through macports.

Steam is available on mac, unless you want to run some windows specific game then you might as well just get windows. FWIW I run OS X with win7. But by all means, give the Ubuntu dual boot a try if you must, you'll need a program called rEFIt to sync the parition tables. I used these instructions from the Mactel ubuntu team. Good luck!