Mac and windows sharing - works but cannot open files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ruber, Aug 6, 2012.

1. ruber macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I finally bought my first mac, it's a Macbook pro with a 10.7.4 mac osx.

I (almost) succesfully inserted my mac in my network (one windows 7 pc and one linux ), each one can see the other and i can share files.

I also can copy and paste or create new files from the windows and the mac BUT:

- when on the win7 pc and open the shared mac folder (that is on the mac, I mean), I can see what's in the folder, I can write new files but I cannot open already existing files created by the mac

-when on the mac and open the sharing folder on the mac itself, I cannot open the files created by my windows pc.

- when on the mac I open the sharing folder that is on the windows pc, I can (yes) open files and modify them.

When I cannot open files, a message tells me that I don't have privileges (permissions I think, I am translating, the message is in italian...)

How can I solve it? Thank you for your help :)

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

You probably should describe your sharing setup...users and permissions.

3. ruber thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply.

Mac has one user let's call her "lisa"

Windows has one user "carlo"

On the mac I have added in the sharing permission settings a user "carlo".

Both "lisa" and "carlo" have permissions set to read and write.

I've just noticed that if I log in (on the windows side end) to the mac shared folder as "lisa", then when I am at the mac I can read and write at once, If I login (from the same win7 pc) as "carlo", then when at the mac I have to assign the mac shared folder and its subfolder "read and write" permissions to "carlo" in order to open and modify files.

Is there a way to tell the mac, when I create a file from my win to the mac shared folder, to set permissions for that new file also to lisa even if I am logged in as carlo?

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

It might be easiest for you to learn a quick bit about the the "static inheritance" rule that defines whether the folder’s permissions also apply to new items placed in the folder. A little knowledge of Terminal commands may be in your future.

5. ruber thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Brian. Do you have a link?

;)