Mac Anti-virus

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tennko, Jan 27, 2010.

1. tennko macrumors newbie

Hey sorry if this has been posted already but does anyone have a link to some free mac anti virus stuff thats really good? :confused:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Searching the forum with MRoogle will usually find answers to most of your questions.

There are no viruses that run on current Macs, and trojans can be avoided with some common sense. If you search using the link I provided, you'll find hundreds of posts on the subject.

3. Hmac macrumors 68020

"Free" and "really good" are generally mutually exclusive.

Anyway, anti-virus software on the Mac is pretty much a total waste of time, money, and energy.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

5. tennko thread starter macrumors newbie

6. g3powerbook boy macrumors member

Thats why I have recommended the macs to my friends that i fix there wincrap pc computers for. Most of the problems on windows crap is viruses or someother type of malware. Also the mac just plain works better. I have a g3 imac slot loader with a 400 mhz processor and currently 256 mb of ram, and it runs tiger 10.4.11 perfect. I will soon be installing more ram in my imac to 1 gb as soon as I find time to do that. I also just bought 3 g3 powerbooks from someone selling them for parts.. last night had to stay up until 2:45 am but i got one of the g3 powerbooks up and running os x 10.4 on 190 mb of ram which i since increased to 380 today as i had a pc 100 256mb chip laying around, only issue it has now is i have to locate screws to secure the screen to the bottom so i dont have to use a wall to keep the screen upright like i am now, but i got 3 g3 powerbook pizmos for $15.00 and maybe will spend another 2.00 on screws. I have only had a mac since christmas eve but don't even want to use my 2 year old windows machine any more! :apple:

7. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

Just don't install a virus scanner. It's unecessary, it slows the mac down and it's really hard to entirely remove the program after you find out it's useless.

8. davino macrumors newbie

after two attacks on pc, I have switched.....hello my name is david...and I own a mac

9. TheBonk macrumors 6502

TheBonk

Yes. Getting anti-virus software for a Mac is as useless as buying a Snuggie for a dog....or a human.

10. winconvert7 macrumors newbie

Very well put. However it is somewhat useful to have anti-virus for a Mac. I travel and use a flash drive in many different computers and scan it on a Mac before I insert it into one of my PCs.

11. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

Yes and yes.

I too travel and fix broken, infected and corrupted w1nd0z3 machines all the time. I use it to scan attached HDD of friends computers via IDE/sATA>USB and always keep it up to date.

If someone knows of a better way to perform such security/salvage missions, I'm all ears!

:)