Mac App Comparable to Windows Media Encoder?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by khaoticsquirrel, Jan 17, 2009.

1. khaoticsquirrel macrumors newbie

I posted this in a different section, and didn't receive any responses so I am trying it in here...

OK, this may seem like a stupid question, but hear me out here. I am trying to make my production company fully-Mac. I have a Tricaster system, which I have multiple cameras plugged into, and I do the switching. The final output of the Tricaster file is MP4. Though I know FCP can edit this type of file, it is not native, so that means I have to render out the files before I can edit, which cost time/money.
    Coming from the Tricaster, I have two encoders in PC format hooked up to the Tricaster to capture the audio and video. One encoder does real-time encoding of FLV files through Flash Media Encoder, and the other encoder does real-time encoding in WMV format with Windows Media Encoder.
    What I am looking for is an Application/Hardware(?) that would allow for me to do real-time encoding to MOV format, so I could do all my editing in FCP instead of being forced to use Windows or rendering through FCP?
    Help Please!:confused:

2. -DH macrumors 65816

Which TriCatser do you use? FWIW, the TriCaster Studio can record to it's internal hard drive in DV format (AVI) which would take minimal transcoding to QuickTime DV. It will also encode and record in WMV format to the hard drive at the same time - eliminating the need for a separate, dedicated WMV encoder.

Depending on the type of Mac you have, you could route the output of the TriCaster to a DV device or capture card and capture live in FCP to your Mac. As far as your question though (Mac App Comparable to Windows Media Encoder?), QuickTime Pro and Compressor are both comparable to Windows Media Encoder.

-DH

3. khaoticsquirrel thread starter macrumors newbie

I am using the Tricaster Broadcast system. I am aware that I can do an instant encoding from the Tricaster system, but in order to do so, I have to cancel my live recording while I am doing instant replay. So in order to capture everything, I am using an external encoding box to do the WMV side of it. And also the Tricaster has limitations as to the file format that we use, which is a huge bummer for the money that was spent on the system.

When you say that Quicktime Pro and Compressor are comparable, does that mean that I would be able to pigtail my Mac to the Tricaster, receive a signal, and do an instant encoding of a MOV file?

I bring my MBP with me, due to all the other equipment that we bring, I monitor the live stream of the site on the MBP, but that wouldn't really limit with encoding through it either I wouldn't think. I may have to look into the FCP idea you suggested to see if I could just go straight through FCP from the Tricaster. (through the capture maybe?)

4. -DH macrumors 65816

I didn't read in your first post that you were doing instant replays or live streaming ... I must have missed that.

I should clarify my statement that QT Pro and Compressor were comparable to Windows Media Encoder. They are in the fact that they can transcode into other formats ... but they do differ in the fact that WME can encode a live stream. I don't know of a way that either QT Pro or Compressor can do that.

I use to do a lot of live, multi-camera shoots through a switcher which outputs to a DVCam VTR and from there, Firewire into a Mac, capturing the mix live with FCP. Nowadays I'm doing the same thing, but with a TriCatser in place of the video switcher. I still go through a DVCam VTR and record the mix to tape as a backup.

I use an old G4 (MDD) for capturing with three additional 500gb ATA hard drives installed. That way the VTR doesn't have to share a Firewire bus with an external Firewire drive.

-DH

5. khaoticsquirrel thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I left out the streaming and replay in the first post.

I never really thought about doing it through FCP until you mentioned something about it. I wonder if there is a way for the capture to get a signal straight from Tricaster system straight into my MBP?

I guess I will be experimenting in this upcoming week with that concept.

Thanks for leading me in the right direction! For some reason, I just never thought of that at all. I am trying to avoid a DVCam VTR, and trying to keep everything digital, and save some money of course.

Thanks Again!!