Mac App or retail equivalent

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tech198, May 4, 2011.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

Now the Mac app store is up and moving along with Apples own iLife suite apps, would people prefer buying them separately from the app store. or buying the retail box. ?

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Depends what you want. I bought iMovie separately because I didn't want/need the others.

3. Kasalic macrumors regular

I bought Garageband, iPhoto and Pages all on the app store. Don't need the others, but the biggest draw was being able to re-download it on any new Mac I get in the future.

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Since it costs less to use the App store, especially if you only want one in the package, and it is a site license to boot, I don't see ever using retail.

Only downside is that updates require going to the App Store rather than just relying on the automatic software update.

You also can't sell the software later if you don't want it, but I've never done that in the past so am unlikely to do that in the future.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You ignore a third alternative--purchase a digital download from a third-party developer. Most developers, including Adobe and Microsoft, have their mainline applications available for download. Rarely ever do I purchase the "retail box." Why? Ask yourself how many users have lost their distribution discs for this or that software package.

If you want to purchase a package and then sell the disc on eBay, then I can understand your dishonesty. For the honest among us, the disc and its packaging are not needed in most cases:
    • Purchase.
    • Download.
    • Install.
    • Archive downloaded disc image file.
    Disc image files archived on an external HDD require much less space than retail packaging. Now that Apple is going to digital downloads for MacOS X 10.7, the era of the distribution DVD is drawing to a close.

6. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

What's "dishonest" about selling used software? Sure, buying software and selling it while still using a installed copy might be. But no one has even mentioned that on this thread. You're making an awful lot of assumptions.