mac app store: accidental $99 purchase

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stefan1975, Jan 6, 2011.

1. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

So i was checking out the app store intending to buy a game for the kids when the mouse cursor hovered over some unkown app BBEDIT and i guess my palm must have tapped the trackpad or i was hovering to prominently or whatever but for some reason it seemed to register a click on buy-now ....... giving me a EUR 79.99 app i have no need for, cannot afford and don't know what it even is.

the apps store support page doesnt seem to work at all and i cannot click anything in the accout/setting/report a problem stuff like in itunes or find a way to turn this one click stuff of so it won't happen again.

is there anything i can do to return this app, heck i'd even take an appstore credit to buy EUR 79.99 worth of stuff i could actually use?!

plus how do i turn off the "feature" that makes it WAY too easy to buy stuff, giving me some kind of confirmation....

thanks, stefan

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You'll have to send a message to the support staff (like iTunes), which could take a little while to get up and running, so be patient if you can. They shouldn't give you any trouble with the refund.

As far as "turning off" that feature (basically, it keeps you logged in after you enter the password for about 10-15 minutes, it seems), I don't think that's an option now. Send feedback to Apple, though, I'm kinda annoyed by it to and I haven't accidentally bought anything yet.

jW

3. billwilfong macrumors newbie

accidental purchase

I too just downloaded 10.6.6, opened the APP store, clicked the sign in to be sure that I had my username/password right, and then clicked on an App name on the right hand side and it purchased a $79 app when I only wanted to get information! I've put in a complaint to Apple. Why doesn't this work like the iPhone APPs? On the iPhone you even have to enter your Password when you update a free app!! Site is not designed Apple friendly as there is no direct Logout button, no indication that you are about to purchase and if you cursor down to an App name if you're just a bit to the right you're doing a purchase and not an info! This seems rushed to the market because of CES. I cancelled the download in progress and will wait a few days for Apple to make good on the refund before I charge the amount back on my credit card. Come on Apple, this is amateur stuff. Get it right when you release it.

4. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

as long as you follow the steps for accidental purchases, you do get your money back. I agree anything over a couple of pounds should ask for your password again, especially for expensive apps

5. garethpauljones macrumors newbie

D'oh

I made a major boo-boo by accidentally downloading a £400/$600 app last night. I bought a 59p app and it prompted for my password but then whilst browsing a few minutes later using the trackpad I accidentally clicked the buy now button on an app and it didn't prompt my password and started downloading. I cancelled the download as soon as it started (only a few percent in) so I don't have it installed, and then emailed App Store support to tell them about the mistake. Just waiting to hear back from them now.
    :mad:
    I'm annoyed that this has happened as it was a genuine mistake but really there should be a protection in place by default, even if people want to manually override it.

On the flip side, I do get annoyed having to enter my password for free apps or app updates so if they added an option to remove password protection for free "purchases" then I'd be happy with that too.

6. GCY macrumors regular

I was just browsing around the app store when it all of a sudden asked me to login. I thought it might be needed for an update but it turns out that I accidentally bought bejeweled 3. I cancelled the install right away and so far I haven't been charged yet. So do apple charge after the install is complete? Could it try to download when I already have a copy of bejeweled 3 installed?

apple seriously need to fix this one click purchase!

7. CylonGlitch, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011

CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I accidentally purchased Pixelmator the other day. Fortunately it was one of those that I was seriously considering anyway so it just made up my mind for me. In fact, I'm glad it did, I've been using it quite a bit and really like it.

For me, they need to do this :

Click "Buy", if you don't own it, ask "Are you sure you want to purchase it?" If you have already purchased it, ask "Do you want to redownload it for free?" Regardless if you're logged in or not. The only thing that being logged in should save you is after your hit the first prompt (either one of the two above) it doesn't ask you to log in again. But ALWAYS should ask one of the first two questions before actually making the purchase.

I could see them having a "1-Click" purchase option available for those who want to turn it on.

EDIT :
    I have created an Online Petition to request this change to Apple. It may never do anything, but it cannot hurt. Please share with as many people as possible.
    Petition Link

8. edfinkel macrumors newbie

"Accidental" purchases

Yesterday I opened the App Store and clicked on the "genres" tab on the right hand side. Instantly an app called "Print Shop" ($49.95) flew onto my dock and started to download. I immediately halted the process and emailed iTunes support, which seems to manage the Mac App Store as well. This is the second time this has happened. The previous time they gave me a "one-time only" refund for the unintended download, so I'm wondering if they will stick to their policy.

There seems to be no easy way to prevent one-click-like purchases, and I view this as a serious bug in what could be a useful program. Meanwhile I have taken the step of totally removing the app store from my three macs, and will not reinstall it until I hear that Apple has addressed this issue.

9. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

I'm pretty sure that resetting warnings should turn off this 1-click-buying feature.

10. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Forgive me, but it doesn't seem possible that simply clicking on Categories will buy an app. I haven't been able to download anything without giving my password, even if one app was downloaded mere seconds after the other. Problem here seems a lot more like PEBKAC than a bug on Apple's part.

11. squirrelist macrumors regular

squirrelist

He probably didn't purchase it by clicking on "Categories"; it probably was a stray click as he was moving his mouse up to click on the button. But it IS a problem with their store. I haven't inadvertently bought an app yet, but ever since I got on the store and downloaded 3 free apps, with only the first one asking for a password, I've been extremely cautious.

12. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

You'd still hear the mouse click, though. You should reset your warnings, though – as I said, I've yet to be able to get anything about having to enter my password.

13. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

Sounds like you guys have problems with your trackpads lol.

14. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Sheesh...No wonder the app store has close to a billion downloads already, it seems that a lot of them are accidental.:rolleyes:

15. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

I was just about to post this. I'm very annoyed about downloading apps accidentally and not having a way to turn off 'one-click-to-purchase'. It's too easy to click unintentionally on a MBP.
    This is a pretty big UI ****-up by apple, "A user can buy a $600 app by miss hitting a button". :mad:

16. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

I seriously doubt that Apple will change this. They make lots of money from it, and impulse purchases.

The primary purpose of the app store is to increase Apple's income stream.

17. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

BBEdit is a wonderful editor. I prefer TextMate and Nano, but to each his own. Perhaps it's time that you learn HTML, then you'll have some use for BBEdit. :D

18. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

It's tricking people into buying software. They will be lawsuits if they don't change it, I can bet a months wages on it.

19. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

20. chrfr macrumors 603

No, this is for the Mac App Store, not iTunes.

21. philxor macrumors regular

I tried what was listed in some of those forums to turn it off and had no luck. I tried this out with some free applications and yes if you are logged in and click buy it will not prompt you. I use the finger tap click method on the trackpad and I could definitely see how an inadvertent click while moving the mouse could end up purchasing an app. Apple definitely needs to add a confirmation dialog...and my guess will in short order.

22. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why don't those having problems sign out of their account before browsing? That way it prompts you to log in before completing the purchase.

23. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

Well we will from now on, but we didn't think apple would be so stupid to allow users to purchase items with one click by default. :rolleyes:

24. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Because the iOS App Store doesn't allow one-touch buying. Oh, wait...

25. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Supposedly, resetting warnings in the iTunes store also has an effect on the Mac App store though. At least I've heard Apple themselves recommending this step to customers after accidental Mac App Store purchases. Worth a try, I thought.