Mac App store account verification without a credit card

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pacmania1982, Jan 6, 2011.

1. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

Hi Guys and gals:

When I was in the US on vacation a few years back, I set up an iTunes account with a $25 card I bought from the Apple Store on 5th Avenue in NYC. Since then, I send money to a friend who lives in the US and he emails me back the code from a gift voucher. My account is registered at his address but doesn't have any billing information in.

I was just reading that when you go in for the first time, it asks you to verify your credit card information. As I don't live in the US and don't have a US credit card, and set the account up with store credit, how would I go through and confirm my billing information without card info?

Also if I can get around the problem above, and I have credit on my iTunes Store account, can this be used to pay for apps?

Thanks in advance

pac

2. Redfanix macrumors member

hi pac...

i have two iTunes account.. one US and one Slovak.. with US i use only gift cards too and have NO credit card addet to US iTunes account, so appstore did not ask for confirm billing informations .. Only my local, Slovak iTunes account ask to verify my credit card information, because only with this account i use my credit card..

So no problem with buing MacApps with credit from iTunes Gift card.. just bought AngryBirds from my US account :) ..

3. pacmania1982 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

Cool! Thanks for the answer, I just tried it using my UK account, and like you it didn't ask me to confirm my billing information.

pac

4. gieppetto macrumors newbie

the credit card system sucks

Hi Guys,

I'm having a bit fancier version of the problem... I have a $25 balance via gift card, too; my account is a US account, same as yours. However, I also have a dollar-based bank account's non-American VISA card connected to iTunes - a card that has had no problems in the iTunes store, by the way... I've used it to get stuff on apple.com (an iPhoto album, only available to US customers... wtf?)

Anyway, the Mac App Store isn't working for me either. I keep getting the "Credit card processing temporarily unavailable" error - probably just a BS-ified way of saying "you're card isn't American, get out!".

If anyone has ideas on how to get rid of/fix this problem, do tell!