Mac App Store and Preinstalled iLife

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MJedi, Sep 3, 2011.

1. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

Hello all,

I got the 2011 MBA and it had me register the pre-installed iLife '11 apps when I connected to the Mac App Store. On another Mac that only has iLife '09, when I logged into the Mac App Store, my purchased history shows that I can download and install the newer iPhoto, iMovie and Garageband. Is this normal? Not that I'm complaining. Just another benefit to the Mac App Store, huh?

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I think the downloads for iLife '11 that the Mac App Store are making available to you are for the MacBook Air with iLife '11 not the other Mac with iLife '09.

From this Apple Doc :apple: OS X Lion: About Lion Recovery:

Restoring iLife applications after Internet Restore of OS X Lion

If you reinstall Lion on a new Mac that shipped with OS X Lion installed, on an erased or replaced hard drive, you can download iPhoto, iMovie, and GarageBand from the Mac App Store.

1. After installation, start from Lion.
    2. Double-click the App Store icon in the dock.
    3. Enter your Apple ID and password.
    4. Click Purchases.
    5. If you haven't previously accepted your bundled iLife applications within the Mac App Store, you should see your iLife applications appear in the Accept portion of the screen. Click Accept.
    6. You may be asked for your Apple ID and password once again. Your iLife applications now move to the Purchased section. These applications are part of the software that came with your Lion based computer. Your account will not be charged for them. Click Install to compete installation of your applications.

3. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

It (the Mac App Store version of iLife '11 suite) has been made available to any Mac with that particular Apple store account.

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I think that's true if you purchased iLife from the Mac App Store, but not if it came installed on a Mac.

5. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

In the OP's case it is. By using this technique, Apple offers the ability to reinstall iLife apps on 2011 Airs since they do not come with Applications Install DVD that's still included with 2011 MB Pros and iMacs

6. MJedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

MJedi

And the side effect, intentional or not, is that I can now install iLife '11 on my iMac that does not have it.

7. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

You're saying the OP can install iLife '11 on his older Mac with iLife '09 just because it came with his MacBook Air?

Have you actually tired this? Does it work?

8. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

It is how Mac App Store works. Apple made it so that you can buy an app once and have it installed, in Steve's words "..on all your personal Macs."

----------

On any Mac running Snow Leopard or later, yes.