Mac App Store and the online Apple Store

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Apple..., Jun 17, 2011.

1. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

I was recently on Apple's online store, and I was wondering if Apple would ever get rid of the Pre-Installed Software part of the configuration page, since all Mac apps will eventually be going to the Mac App Store. Thoughts?

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Could happen. But I could also see how some customers would like the convenience of having the apps ready to go out of the box without having to download them. Plus, Apperture currently sells much cheaper on the App Store than it does pre-installed, so maybe Apple is looking for suckers. :p

There's also the 500-pound Gorilla in the room. Who knows when (or if) MS Office will be available on the store...

3. Apple... thread starter macrumors 68020

Apple...

That's true... Microsoft needs to get its act together. I could see Apple dropping the pre-installed software section and adding "buy incredible apps off the Mac App Store..." or something. Who knows. :rolleyes:

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I don't think Microsoft will Office on the Mac App Store unless the usage terms changes so that installation limits exists. Currently, the MAS allows you to install purchased apps on an unlimited number of Macs. I don't think Microsoft wants that, ever.

Also, it's interesting to note that Amazon's Mac Download Store does sell Microsoft Office in both 1 and 3 license packs.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The issue with MS Office getting into MAS, is the that it would probably fail the review process. Plus I'm not sure MS wants to forego 30% of the sales price to apple. I'm not sure how much of a cut resellers (like amazon) get when they sell MS office but I think MS may be less receptive to letting apple reap the benefits.