Mac App Store - Application download - Inability to locate purchased app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lawsofphysics, Feb 13, 2011.

1. lawsofphysics, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2011

lawsofphysics macrumors newbie

Hi,

So I was downloading a game (COD 4 modern warfare) through the Mac Appp Store. This is a very big file and I started the download in the night. Now, as soon as the mac app store starts download something, the icon of the application appears on the dock with the download status bar, right?

When I woke up the next morning, this icon on the dock was gone and the search of the game name resulted nothing through finder. It was downloading fine until around 6am and then it just disappeared.
    But here's the tricky part. On the mac app store 'purchases section' my game is still being downloaded with the download the status and everything.

The first thing I saw this morning was a prompt on the desktop.
    "Mac App store - Unable to download. Document could not be found. Click Retry or Cancel". Or something like that. I clicked retry. Nothing happened then.

So, my question is, Where is the game? Even if it's being downloaded as of now. There must be a file, right?

EDIT: Thanks a ton! I am new to the os x world and found this forum extremely helpful.

______

I have paused the download for now. It has downloaded 3.4 GB so far. (I am seeing this through the purchase history section)

Here's the error message

2. ufkdo macrumors 6502

This is a common problem of Mac App Store. Don't worry and continue to download, after download is completed you will see your app in Applications folder.

Edit: Did it automatically pause or did you pause it manually?

3. lawsofphysics thread starter macrumors newbie

^ Thanks. It paused automatically and the error message appeared. This happened twice. I clicked 'retry' and then the download resumed.
    The message came up at 1 GB and then at 4.5 GB

EDIT: Sorry for those first 3 continuous posts. I remembered to post new information at different times. :)

4. ufkdo macrumors 6502

It is weird. I saw this issue 2-3 times but in my cases download did not stop automatically. I canceled them and after starting to re-download, they did not show up in dock, but after download is completed I saw them in Applications folder.

I suggest you to email to iTunes support about the issue.

5. lawsofphysics thread starter macrumors newbie

anyone else? What was the reason for that error message? :confused:
    I resumed the download an hour back.

@matkap: Thanks. I e-malied to the developer and itunes.

6. Musicophiliac macrumors newbie

I have the same problem!!!

The same issue came up for me when downloading Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, also by Aspyr Media. Is it possible that it's the internet connection? The network that I'm using to download is unreliable and slow. Is that similar to what anyone else is experiencing?

7. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

That's one of the issues developers hate about the Mac App Store, they have no customer support ability. Several developers who do interviews have stated this as a real pain to them and their customers.

8. lawsofphysics thread starter macrumors newbie

The same issue came up for me when downloading Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, also by Aspyr Media. Is it possible that it's the internet connection? The network that I'm using to download is unreliable and slow. Is that similar to what anyone else is experiencing?

It worked fine when the download completed. The COD 4 icon reappeared on the dock when the download approached 98 - 99 %

Oh and one thing to keep in mind is that you may have to keep clicking 'Retry' if the error message pops up. Sometimes you may have to hit that click 20 times and then the download resumes. Sometimes on 2~3 clicks. Don't give up if it doesn't resume. Just keep on clicking retry and it will continue eventually.

Frustrating, I know.