Mac App Store Apps Not in Application Folder

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by WesCole, Jun 30, 2011.

1. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I tried moving some of my purchases from the Applications folder to my optibay drive and creating aliases to them to still be able to launch them from the Applications folder. However, it seems that this messes up the updates for the apps because it gave me an error when I tried to updat saying something about I have purchases on a different account. Anyone else have this happen?

Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not advisable to move apps from the Applications folder, for just the reason you described: it can create problems with updates. It's best to leave all apps in the Applications folder and create another folder with aliases to your frequently-used apps.

3. WesCole thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's kind of what I figured. I called Apple before I moved them, though, and they said it shouldn't matter since the app store is supposed to use spotlight to tell where the apps are.

Could it be the aliases causing the problem? I haven't tried creating a separate dock folder for apps that are on the optibay drive without any aliases. Might give that a try tonight or tomorrow.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't put any apps in the optibay drive. I believe that's the source of your problem. Some apps don't mind being moved, but many do. It's a cleaner and more trouble-free approach to leave them all in the /Applications folder. I'd move user files to the optibay drive, rather than any OS components or apps.

5. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Mac App Store shouldn't have any problems updating apps that have been moved to a different folder in your drive. The problem is that you moved them to a different drive. When you purchase an app through the App Store it registeres itself to Macintosh HD on, say, "Steve's Mac" If you move the app(s) to a different drive, the app "receipt" thinks it's a different computer altogether. Nearly all my App Store apps are in a different folder(s) and I haven't yet had a problem with updates.

6. WesCole thread starter macrumors 6502a

That makes sense. Too bad the App Store doesn't have a default directory that I can modify for apps.